A ROS Driven Platform for Radiomap Management Optimization in Fingerprinting Based Indoor Positioning
An electromagnetic beacons infrastructure is commonly used in positioning applications within buildings where the GPS signal is not present.
Through techniques of multilateration and fingerprinting an average accuracy of about 2 m can be reached, but the accuracy is limited by multiple reflections, obstacles and signal dispersion that make it unreliable analytic field modeling. Dense field sampling field allows a reconstruction more detailed but is costly and clever uneven sampling is appropriate.
This work describes the progress of an interactive robotic platform under development to support field modeling and beacons positioning, through intelligent iterative strategies of data acquisition.
The platform integrates a Matlab-based control system and simulation software: a robot equipped with distance sensors, able to perform autonomous navigation in a known environment, and a data logger module hosted in an Android mobile device, all connected via a ROS framework.
Robot assisted field sampling is here proposed and used to reduce costs of radiomap construction and update. In particular, this technology is suitable for complex environments as museums and exhibitions.
KeywordsMobile robot Indoor positioning ROS Matlab SLAM Mapping Path planning Navigation Path tracking BLE beacons
- 1.Gallozzi, A., et al.: The MuseBot project: robotics, informatic, and economic strategies for museums. In: Handbook of Research on Emerging Technologies for Digital Preservation and Information Modeling. IGI Global (2017). Chap. 3Google Scholar
- 2.Georgiadi, N., et al.: A pervasive role-playing game for introducing elementary school students to archaeology. In: Mobile-CH 2016: Workshop on Mobile Access to Cultural Heritage (in Conjunction with ACM Mobile HCI 2016), MobileHCI 2016 Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices, Florence (Tuscany), Italy, 6–9 September 2016Google Scholar
- 5.Dierna, G.L., Machì, A.: Towards accurate indoor localization using iBeacons, fingerprinting and particle filtering. In: 2016 International Conference on Indoor Positioning and Indoor Navigation (IPIN), Alcalá de Henares, Spain, 4–7 October 2016Google Scholar
- 7.Kriz, P., et al.: Improving indoor localization using bluetooth low energy beacons. Mob. Inf. Syst. 2016 (2016). Hindawi Publishing Corporation, Article ID 2083094, 11 p.Google Scholar
- 9.Quigley, M., et al.: ROS: an open-source robot operating system. In: ICRA Workshop on Open Source Software 2009, vol. 3(3.2) (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Grisetti, G., et al.: Improving grid-based SLAM with Rao-Blackwellized particle filters by adaptive proposals and selective resampling. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Hahnel, D., et al.: Map building with mobile robots in populated environments. In: Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robot and Systems (IROS) (2002)Google Scholar