Towards a Cognitive System for the Identification of Sleep Disorders
Alzheimer’s disease (AD) is the most common type of dementia. Patients with AD may show anomalous behaviors such as sleeping disorders. Due to the increasing attention focused on these kinds of behaviors, activities like monitoring and identification are becoming critical. In order to meet these requirements, we propose a cognitive approach based on a combination of machine learning algorithms and a prior knowledge base for the identification of anomalous behaviors during sleep. The results show an improvement in the identification of sleeping disorders of more than 10%.
KeywordsSleep Disorder Classification Process Anomalous Behavior Machine Learning Algorithm Sleep Disorder
The authors of this paper would like to thanks Giuseppe Trerotola and Raffaele Mattiello for the technical support.
- 4.de Mesquita, J.A., de Melo, P.L.: Respiratory monitoring system based on the nasal pressure technique for the analysis of sleep breathing disorders: reduction of static and dynamic errors, and comparisons with thermistors and pneumotachographs. Rev. Sci. Instrum. 75(3), 760–767 (2004). doi: 10.1063/1.1646734 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Hurwitz, J., Kaufman, M., Bowles, A.: Cognitive Computing and Big Data Analytics, 1st edn. Wiley Publishing, New York (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Welton, N.J., Ades, A.E.: Estimation of Markov chain transition probabilities and rates from fully and partially observed data: uncertainty propagation, evidence synthesis, and model calibration. Med. Decis. Making 25(6), 633–645 (2005). doi: 10.1177/0272989X05282637. pMID: 16282214CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Coronato, A., Paragliola, G.: An approach for the evaluation of sleeping behaviors disorders in patients with cognitive diseases: a case study (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Gabriel, T.R., Berthold, M.R.: Influence of fuzzy norms, other heuristics on “mixed fuzzy rule formation”. Int. J. Approximate Reasoning 35(2), 195–202 (2004). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0888613X03001427 CrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- 9.Riedmiller, M., Braun, H.: A direct adaptive method for faster backpropagation learning: the RPROP algorithm. In: IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, vol. 1, pp. 586–591 (1993)Google Scholar