The State of Sociology: Some Contemporary Concerns
Some aspects of contemporary Israeli sociology look troubling for its future prospects. Sociology today is entrapped between two sources of pressure: neonationalism and neoliberalism . On the one hand, sociology is pressed to conform to the nationalist ethos; on the other hand, it is pushed to adapt to neoliberal practices. Yet a third type of problem seems to be a thorough Americanization of Israeli sociology in the global era. Though all these concerns are common to the humanities and social sciences in general, Israeli sociology seems to be particularly challenged.
KeywordsAcademic freedom Higher education Enrollment Americanization Neoliberalism Neonationalism
- Association for Civil Rights in Israel. 2016. State of Human Rights 2016. http://www.acri.org.il/campaigns/report2016en/.
- Ayalon, Hanna, and Abraham Yogev. 2005. Field of Study and Students’ Stratification in an Expanded System of Higher Education: The Case of Israel. European Sociological Review 21 (3): 227–241.Google Scholar
- Bar Haim, E., C. Blank, and Y. Shavit. 2013. Changes in the Stratification Process in Israel, 1995–2008. In State of the Nation Report, ed. Dan Ben David. Jerusalem: The Taub Center (Hebrew). Google Scholar
- Ben David, Joseph. 1964. Science in a Small Country, 1. The University (Hebrew).Google Scholar
- Billing, Michael. 1995. Banal Nationalism. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Blechman, Yisrael. 2008. Research Report: On the Ethnic Composition of the University. Theory and Criticism 33: 191–197.Google Scholar
- CBS. 2008/9a’. Central Bureau of Statistics, Israel. Table 1. Senior Academic Staff in Universities, by Scientific Field and Degree. http://www.cbs.gov.il/publications11/1430_segel_akademy/pdf/tab04.pdf.
- CBS. 2008/9b’. Central Bureau of Statistics, Israel. Table 4: Recipients of Ph.D. Degrees in Israel among the Senior Academic Staff in the Universities by Scientific Field and Degree. http://www.cbs.gov.il/publications11/1430_segel_akademy/pdf/tab01.pdf.
- CBS. 2014. Central Bureau of Statistics. Students for Sociology and Anthropology by Instiution Type, Institution and Grade. Received in personal correspondence.Google Scholar
- CHE. 2014. Council of Higher Education: The Higher Education System of Israel 2014. Jerusalem: The Planning and Budgeting Committee.Google Scholar
- Cohen, Uri. 2007. The Academic University Elite. In New Elites in Israel, ed. E. Ben-Rafael and Yitzhak Sternberg, 183–206. Jerusalem: Bialik Institute (Hebrew).Google Scholar
- Connell, W. Raewyn. 2007. Southern Theory: Social Science and the Global Dynamics of Knowledge. London: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Dagan-Bozaglo, Noga. 2007. The Right for Higher Education. Tel Aviv: Adva Center (Hebrew).Google Scholar
- Dattel, Lior. 2016. Israeli Pupils Underperform Yet Again on International Exams. Haaretz, December 7. http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.757401.
- Dobrin, Nurit. 2015. Equal Opportunities in Education: Demographic and Socio-Economic Barriers, Working Paper No. 91. Jerusalem: Central Bureau of Statistics—Chief Scientist Department. http://www.cbs.gov.il/publications/pw91.pdf.
- Feniger, Yariv, Oded Mcdossi, and Hanna Ayalon. 2014. Ethno-Religious Differences in Israeli Higher Education: Vertical and Horizontal Dimensions. European Sociological Review, 31(4): 383–396.Google Scholar
- Getz, Daphne, and Zehev Tadmor. 2015. “Israel”, Chapter 16, 409–429. In UNESCO Science Report: Towards 2030. UNESCO Publishing: http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0023/002354/235406e.pdf.
- Goldsmith, Roi, and Yaron Unger. 2010. Aspects of Academic Freedom in Israel and Abroad. Jerusalem: The Knesset Center of Information. https://www.knesset.gov.il/mmm/data/pdf/m02642.pdf.
- Herzog, Hanna, and Kineret Lahad (eds.). 2006. Knowledge and Silence: On Mechanisms of Denial and Repression in Israeli Society. Jerusalem: The Van Leer Jerusalem Institute and Hakibbutz Hameuhad.Google Scholar
- If You Will It. 2010. Anti-Zionist Incitement, Exclusion and Bias in the Universities. If You Will It. https://imti.org.il/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/AcademicSpeechGag.pdf.
- Israel Academy. 2016. Report on the State of Science in Israel, 2016. Jerusalem: Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities. http://academy.ac.il/SystemFiles2015/Science%20-%20Report.pdf.
- Israeli Academy. 2016. Sub-Committee on the State of the Social Science and the Humanities, 20–24. http://academy.ac.il/SystemFiles2015/Science%20-%20Report.pdf.
- Keren, Michael. 1989. The Pen and the Sword: Israeli Intellectuals and the Making of the Nation-State. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.Google Scholar
- Kirsh, Uri. 2016. The Ranking of Israeli Research: What the Ranking Really Describes? Haifa: Shmuel Neaman Institute, the Technion (Hebrew). http://www.neaman.org.il/Neaman2011/Templates/ShowPage.asp?DBID=1&TMID=581&LNGID=2&FID=646&IID=14120.
- Messer-Yaron, Hagit. 2008. Capitalism and the Ivory Tower. Tel Aviv: Ministry of Defense (Hebrew).Google Scholar
- Moutner, Menachem. 2008. Law and Culture in Israel at the Threshold of the Twenty-First Century. Tel Aviv: Tel Aviv University Press and Am-Oved Publishing (Hebrew).Google Scholar
- OECD. 2014. Education at a Glance, 2014. OECD Indicators. doi: 10.1787/eag-2014-en. (Table A1.3a. percentage of adults, who have attained tertiary education, by type of program and age group, 2012).
- Pappe, Ilan. 2014. The Idea of Israel: A History of Power and Knowledge. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Ram, Uri. 2011. Israeli Nationalism: Social Conflicts and the Politics of Knowledge. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Said, Edward. 1978. Orientalism. New York, NY: Vintage Books.Google Scholar
- Sand, Shlomo. 2011. The Words and the Land: Israeli Intellectuals and the Nationalist Myth. Cambridge, MA: Semiotexte.Google Scholar
- Shavit, Yossi, and Hannah Ayalon. 2007. Israel: Diversification, Expansion, and Inequality in Higher Education. In Stratification in Higher Education: A Comparative Study, ed. Yoosi Shavit, Richard Arum, and adam Gamoran with Gila Menachem, 39–62. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Shavit, Yossi, Yinon Cohen, Haia Stier, and Svetlana Bolotin. 1999. Ethnic Inequality in University Education in Israel. Jewish Journal of Sociology 41 (2): 5–23.Google Scholar
- Shenhav, Yehouda. 2000. Does There Exist an Israeli Sociology. Israeli Sociology 4: 675–680 (Hebrew).Google Scholar
- Shenhav, Yehouda. 2008. Sociologists and the Occupation. Israeli Sociology 9 (2): 263–270 (Hebrew).Google Scholar
- Shohat Committee. 2007. Report of the Committee for the Examination of the Higher Education System in Israel. Jerusalem: Minstry of Education (Hebrew).Google Scholar
- Simon, Susen. 2015. The Postmodern Turn in the Social Sciences. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Smooha, Sammy. 2010. Israeli Sociology’s Position in International Sociology and the Challenges it faces. http://soc.haifa.ac.il/~s.smooha/uploads/editor_uploads/files/IsraelSociologyinWorldSociology.pdf.
- Taubman, Tamar. 2007. Less Than 9% of the Academic Staff are Mizrahim. Haaretz, October 18. http://www.haaretz.co.il/misc/1.1450987.
- Young, Robert C.J. 2001. Postcolonialism: An Historical Introduction. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar