A Proposal for Situation-Aware Evacuation Guidance Based on Semantic Technologies
Smart Cities require reliable means for managing installations that offer essential services to the citizens. In this paper we focus on the problem of evacuation of smart buildings in case of emergencies. In particular, we present a proposal for an evacuation guidance system that provides individualized evacuation support to people in case of emergencies. The system uses sensor technologies and Complex Event Processing to obtain information about the current situation of a building in each moment. Using semantic Web technologies, this information is merged with static knowledge (special user characteristics, building topology, evacuation knowledge) in order to determine (and dynamically update) the most appropriate individualized evacuation routes for each user.
KeywordsMultiagent systems Evacuation guidance Context aware systems Complex event processing Semantic technologies Smart buildings
Work partially supported by the Autonomous Region of Madrid (grant “MOSI-AGIL-CM” (P2013/ICE-3019) co-funded by EU Structural Funds FSE and FEDER, “SURF” (TIN2015-65515-C4-4-R (MINECO/FEDER)) funded by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness, and through the Excellence Research Group GES2ME (Ref. 30VCPIGI05) co-funded by URJC and Santander Bank.
- 1.MOSI-AGIL project (2016). https://www.gsi.dit.upm.es/mosi/
- 2.Hermoso, R., Dunkel, J., Krause, J.: Situation awareness for push-based recommendations in mobile devices. In: 19th International Conference on Business Information Systems (BIS) (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Lujak, M., Giordani, S., Ossowski, S.: Distributed safety optimization in evacuation of large smart spaces. In: The 9th International Workshop on Agents in Traffic and Transportation (ATT 2016 @ IJCAI 2016) (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Apple Inc.: iBeacons https://developer.apple.com/ibeacon/
- 7.Zimmermann, W.: Indoor navigation with iBeacon technology. Master thesis, Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts (2016). (in German)Google Scholar
- 8.Brown, M.: Introducing iBeacon Technology at SXSW 2015 (2015). http://www.sxsw.com/news/2015/introducing-ibeacon-technology-sxsw-2015
- 10.Luckham, D.: The Power of Events. Addison-Wesley, Boston (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Etzion, O., Niblett, P.: Event Processing in Action. Manning, Greenwich (2010)Google Scholar