SEM-Based Value Generation Mechanism from Open Government Data in Environment/Weather Sector
Environmental issues are harmful effects of human activities on the biophysical environment. More and more citizens are engaged in the open data movement for different purposes, in particular, emerging private companies are being built on Open Government Data (OGD) to predict extreme weather events for environmental protection, to satisfy more social requirements (e.g. job creation) and to make economic profits, simultaneously. Emerging companies are utilizing OGD to generate values. Building on a synthesis of the OGD literature and established theories of value generation, we develop a structural equation modelling (SEM)-based model to explore the causal relationship between OGD and value generation. This study constructs the conceptual structural equation model and lays a foundation for the upcoming research.
KeywordsSEM Value generation Open government data Environment/weather sector
This research was supported by the Program of China Scholarship Council (No. 201506240179).
- 3.Foundation OK (2016) Open data index (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Fundation WWW (2016) Open Data Barometer, 3rd edn. (2016). http://www.opendatabarometer.org/report/about/method.html
- 5.Magalhaes G, Roseira C, Manley L (2014) Business models for open government data. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance. ACM, pp 365–370Google Scholar
- 6.Network TOG (2016) Open data 500 U.S. (2016). http://www.opendata500.com/
- 7.(NRDC) NRDC (2016) Our stories (2015). https://www.nrdc.org/
- 8.Oceanic N, (NOAA) AA (2016) Climate data and report (2015). http://www.noaa.gov/