Decision Mining in a Broader Context: An Overview of the Current Landscape and Future Directions
The term Decision Mining has been put forward in literature to cover numerous applications in a diverse set of contexts. In the business process management community, it typically reflects the way processes and data required for decision purposes in those processes are blended into one model during discovery. However, the upcoming field of decision modeling and management requires the term to be repositioned in order to obtain a better understanding of the interplay of processes and decisions. In this paper, the different approaches that are currently available are delineated and a case is made for a new type of decision mining: one that separates the control flow and decision perspective in a less stringent form compared to existing approaches.
KeywordsDecision mining Decision management DMN
This work has been partially supported by funds from the the Flemish Fund for Science (grant FWO VS.010.14N) and from the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant (No. 2013R1A2A2A03014718).
- 8.Fayyad, U.M., Piatetsky-Shapiro, G., Smyth, P.: From data mining to knowledge discovery in databases. AI Mag. 17(3), 37–54 (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Vanthienen, J., Caron, F., Smedt, J.D.: Business rules, decisions and processes: five reflections upon living apart together. In: Proceedings SIGBPS Workshop on Business Processes and Services (BPS 2013), pp. 76–81 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.OMG: Decision Model and Notation (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Taylor, J., Fish, A., Vanthienen, J., Vincent, P.: Emerging standards in decision modeling (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Janssens, L., Bazhenova, E., Smedt, J.D., Vanthienen, J., Denecker, M.: Consistent integration of decision (DMN) and process (BPMN) models. In: CAiSE Forum, vol. 1612 of CEUR Workshop Proceedings, CEUR-WS.org, pp. 121–128 (2016)Google Scholar
- 16.Conforti, R., Dumas, M., García-Bañuelos, L., Rosa, M.: Beyond tasks and gateways: discovering BPMN models with subprocesses, boundary events and activity markers. In: Sadiq, S., Soffer, P., Völzer, H. (eds.) BPM 2014. LNCS, vol. 8659, pp. 101–117. Springer, Cham (2014). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-10172-9_7 Google Scholar
- 17.Maggi, F.M., Mooij, A.J., van der Aalst, W.M.P.: User-guided discovery of declarative process models. In: CIDM, pp. 192–199. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 24.de Leoni, M., van der Aalst, W.M.P.: Data-aware process mining: discovering decisions in processes using alignments. In: SAC, pp. 1454–1461. ACM (2013)Google Scholar