Brexit from a US Point of View
The traditional US policy positions multilateralism and support for European integration are contrasted to US protectionism and bilateralism under President Trump. How will the Trump administration approach Brexit in the light of Trump’s remarks on the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), NAFTA, and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)? Welfens examines the idea of a US–UK version of the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership and how the “special relationship” between London and Washington could evolve. Closer UK–US relations will offer some opportunities, but also present challenges—particularly in the bank and financial services sector. The political reputation of Theresa May’s “Global Britain” may be damaged by associating itself too closely with a protectionist, anti-free trade US, which may seek to undermine the EU.
- Baldwin, R., et al. (2016). Brexit Beckons: Thinking ahead by leading economists. A VoxEU.org Book. CEPR Press. Available for download at http://voxeu.org/system/files/epublication/Brexit_Beckons_VoxEU.pdf.
- Froot, K., & Stein, J. (1991). Exchange rates and foreign direct investments. Quarterly Journal of Economics, 1191–1217.Google Scholar
- HM Government. (2017a). Prime Minister May’s speech on Brexit, Lancaster House speech delivered January 17, 2017. Available online https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/the-governments-negotiating-objectives-for-exiting-the-eu-pm-speech.
- Lundestad, G. (1998). “Empire” by integration: The United States and European integration, 1945–1997. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Malloch, T. (2017). Ted Malloch: The US view of European integration. The Parliament Magazine. 14 February 2017. Available at https://www.theparliamentmagazine.eu/articles/opinion/ted-malloch-us-view-european-integration.
- O’Rourke, K. H. (2016). This backlash has been a long time coming. In Baldwin, et al. (Eds.), Brexit Beckons: Thinking ahead by leading economists. A VoxEU.org Book. CEPR Press.Google Scholar
- Tilly, R., & Welfens, P. J. J. (Eds.). (2000). Economic globalization, international organizations and crisis management, contemporary and historical perspectives on growth, impact and evolution of major organizations in an interdependent world. Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- The Times. (2017). Michael Gove and Kai Diekmann—Interview with Donald Trump, January 16, 2017. Available online at http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/full-transcript-of-interview-with-donald-trump-5d39sr09d.
- Welfens, P. J. J., Knipping, F., & Suthiphand, C. (Eds.). (2006). Integration in Asia and Europe. Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- White House. (2016). Obama White House Archives, Remarks by the President Obama and Prime Minister Cameron in Joint Press Conference, April 22, 2016. Available at https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2016/04/22/remarks-president-obama-and-prime-minister-cameron-joint-press.