In An Accidental Brexit, Welfens argues that the peculiar timing of the publication of the study by Her Majesty’s Treasury on the long-term costs and benefits of membership of the European Union, just days after the Cameron government had sent an information brochure to voters with none of the key economic information, calls the result of the referendum into question. These findings could have changed the outcome of the referendum, and history, by resulting in a Remain majority. In this analysis, the need for the EU to reform if it is to avoid disintegration is highlighted. Can the UK’s Global Britain approach work—particularly as the Trump administration appears intent on undermining multilateralism and international organizations?
- Acemoglu, D. (2015). Import Competition and the Great U.S. Employment Sag of the 2000s. UBS Center Working Paper Series No. 13. University of Zurich.Google Scholar
- Asia Times. (2016). Asia won’t be immune to Brexit vote, Online Edition, 20 June.Google Scholar
- Ghemawat, P., & Altman, S. (2016). DHL Global Connectedness Index 2016, The state of globalization in an age of ambiguity. Available at http://www.dhl.com/content/dam/downloads/g0/about_us/logistics_insights/gci_2016/DHL_GCI_2016_full_study.pdf.
- HM Government. (2016a). The best of both worlds: The United Kingdom’s special status in a reformed European Union, London, February 2016. Available at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/502291/54284_EU_Series_No1_Web_Accessible.pdf.
- HM Government. (2016b). Why the government believes that voting to remain in the European Union is the best decision for the UK, London. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/515068/why-the-government-believes-that-voting-to-remain-in-the-european-union-is-the-best-decision-for-the-uk.pdf.
- Welfens, P. J. J. (2009). Transatlantische Bankenkrise. Stuttgart: Lucius.Google Scholar
- Welfens, P. J. J. (2016a). British Referendum pains and the EU implications of Brexit, AICGS-Beitrag/Brexit. http://www.aicgs.org/issue/british-referendum-pains-and-the-eu-implications-of-Brexit/.