Change and Analysis of Extreme Rainfall Indices During 1960–2010 and 2011–2100 in Abidjan District (Côte d’Ivoire)
Flood risk occurrence is very often related to heavy precipitation. The availability of analysis of weather data is a potential source for long term flood risk prediction and management. The aim of this paper was to determine and analyse trends of observed and future rainfall indices from 1961 to 2010 and 2011 to 2100 using rclimdex model in Abidjan District. This work was based on the integration of daily weather data within rclimdex model throughout quality control test, homogeneity test and indices calculation of ten (10) rainfall indices. The results showed an overall decrease trend of the rainfall indices namely through a negative trend in the annual total rainfall, maximum number of consecutive wet days, and number of extremely wet days during the period from 1961 to 2010. Exception was made from 1995 to 2010 where the same indices showed a positive trend. However, the results have showed also an increase trend of consecutive wet days (CWD), Simple daily intensity index (SDII) and Number of heavy precipitation days (R10) indices from 2011 to 2100. Thus these findings explain the nowadays flood occurrence and indicate that rainfall extreme under flood risk events will continue in the future. Therefore it call decision makers for preparedness and mitigation strategies in Abidjan District.
KeywordsClimate events Rainfall indices Rclimdex Abidjan Côte d’Ivoire
We are grateful for the financial support provided by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) under the auspices of the West African Science Service Centre for Climate Change and Adapted Land Use (WASCAL) project. We are also grateful to the WASCAL GRP-CCLU, Kumasi, Ghana.
Competing Interests Section
I declare and certify that this research article is for pure academic purpose. In fact, it is one specific objective of my Ph.D. research. Therefore, there is a non-financial competing interest.
- Alexander, L V., Zhang, X., Peterson, T C., Caesar, J., Gleason, B, Klein Tank, A, Haylock, M, Collins, D, Trevin, B, Rahimdah, F, et al., (2006) Global Observed Changes in Daily Climate Extremes of Temperature and Precipitation. Journal of Geophysical Research, III D05109. http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2005JD006290.
- Ali, A (2011) Climate variability and change in the Sahel. Understanding the current situation by observing Climate change in the Sahel. A challenge for sustainable development. AGRHYMET Monthly Bulletin (Special Issue), 17–20. http://www.agrhymet.ne/PDF/Bulletin%20mensuel/specialChCang.pdf.
- Babatolu, J, Akinnubi, R, Folagimi, A and Bukola, O (2014) Variability and Trends of Daily Heavy Rainfall Events over Niger River Basin Development Authority Area in Nigeria. American Journal of Climate Change, 3: 1–7. doi: 10.4236/ajcc.2014.31001.
- Birkmann, J, Buckle, P, Jaeger, J, Pelling, M, Setiadi, N, Garschagen, M,… and Kropp, J (2010) Extreme events and disasters: a window of opportunity for change? Analysis of organizational, institutional and political changes, formal and informal responses after mega-disasters. Natural Hazards, 55(3):637–655.Google Scholar
- Brou, Y T (2005) Climat, mutations socio-économiques et paysages en Côte d’Ivoire. Mém. HDR, Univ. Sci. Techn. Lille, France, 212.Google Scholar
- Cinco, T A, de Guzman, R G, Hilario, F D, & Wilson, D M (2014) Long-term trends and extremes in observed daily precipitation and near surface air temperature in the Philippines for the period 1951–2010. Atmospheric Research, 145–146: 12–26. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosres.2014.03.025.
- Gbode, I E, Akinsanola, A A and Ajayi, V O (2015) Recent Changes of Some Observed Climate Extreme Events in Kano. International Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, Volume 2015, Article ID 298046, 6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/298046.
- Goula, B T A, Kouassi, V J & Savané, I (2006) Impacts du changement climatique sur les ressources en eau en zone tropicale humide: cas du bassin versant du Bandama en Côte d’Ivoire. Agron. Afr., 18(1): 1–11.Google Scholar
- Hauhouot, C (2008) Analysis of the rainfall risks in the precarious districts of Abidjan: Survey of cases in Attécoubé, Geo-Eco-Trop, 2008, 32: 75–82.Google Scholar
- Haylock, M R, Peterson, T C, Alves, L M, Ambrizzi, T, Anunciação, Y M T., Baez, J, Barros, V R, Berlato, M A, Bidegain, M, Coronel, G, Corradi, V, Garcia, V J, Grimm, A M, Karoly, D, Marengo, J A, Marino, M B, Moncunill, D F, Nechet, D, Quintana, J, Rebello, E, Rusticucci, M, Santos, J L, Trebejo, I, Vincent, L A (2006) Trends into taland extreme South American rainfall in1 960–2000 and links with sea surface temperature. Journal of Climate 19: 1490–1512.Google Scholar
- IPCC, (2007) Climate Change 2007: Synthesis Report. Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [Core Writing Team, Pachauri, R.K and Reisinger, A. (eds.)]. IPCC, Geneva, Switzerland, 104.Google Scholar
- Keggenhoff I, Elizbarashvili M, Amiri-Farahani A, & King L (2014) Trends in daily temperature and precipitation extremes over Georgia, 1971–2010. Weather and Climate Extremes, 4: 75–85. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.wace.2014.05.001.
- Kouassi, A M, Kouamé, K F, Goula, B T A, Lasm, T, Paturel, J E & Biémi, J (2008) Influence de la variabilité climatique et de la modification de l’occupation du sol sur la relation pluie-débit a partir d’une modélisation globale du bassin versant du N’zi (Bandama) en Côte d’Ivoire. Rev Ivoir. Sci. Technol. 11: 207–229.Google Scholar
- Lamptey B (2009) An analytical framework for estimating the urban effect on climate. International Journal of Climatology, 30: 72–88.Google Scholar
- L’Hote, Y, Mahé, G, Some, B, Triboulet, J P (2002) Analysis of a Sahelian annual rainfall index from 1896 to 2000; the drought continues. Hydrological Sciences—Journal 47(4):563–572.Google Scholar
- Mouhamed, L, Traore, S B, Alhassane, A and Sarr, B (2013) Evolution of some observed climate extremes in the West African Sahel. Journal Weather and Climate Extremes 1:19–25.Google Scholar
- New, M, Hewitson, B, Stephenson, D A, Tsiga, A, Kruger, A, Manhique, A, Gomez, B, Coelho, C A S, Masisi, D N, Kululanga, E, Mbambalala, E, Adesina, F, Saleh, H, Kanyanga, J, Adosi, J, Bulane, L, Fortunata, L, Mdoka, M L, Lajoie, R (2006). Evidence of trends in daily climate extremes over Southern and West Africa. J. Geophys. Res. 111, D14102. http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2005JD006289.
- Osman, Y, Al-Ansari, N, Abdellatif, M, Aljawad, S B and Knutsson, S (2013) Expected Future Precipitation in Central Iraq Using LARS-WG Stochastic Weather Generator. Engineering, 6: 948–959. http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/eng.2014.613086.
- Pedersen, A N, Mikkelsen, P S and Arnbjerg-Nielsen, K (2012). Climate change-induced impacts on urban flood risk influenced by concurrent hazards. Journal of Flood Risk Management, 5: 203–214.Google Scholar
- Revadekar, J V, Patwardhan, S K, and Rupa Kumar, K (2011). Characteristic Features of Precipitation Extremes over India in the Warming Scenarios. Advances in Meteorology, Volume 2011, Article ID 138425, 11. doi: 10.1155/2011/138425.
- Sarr, B (2011). Return of heavy downpours and floods in a context of changing climate. Climate change in the Sahel. A challenge for sustainable development. AGRHYMET Monthly Bulletin (Special Issue), 9–11. http://www.agrhymet.ne/PDF/Bulletin%20mensuel/specialChCang.pdf.
- Savane, I., Coulibaly, N. and Soro, N., 2003. Analyse multicritère spatiale pour l’identification de la vulnérabilité aux risques naturels d’Abobo (banlieue de la ville d’Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire). Rev. Ivoir. Sci. Technol, 4: 94–107.Google Scholar
- Stephenson, T S, Vincent, L A, Allen, T, Van Meerbeeck, C J, McLean, N, Peterson, T C,… & Trotman, A R (2014). Changes in extreme temperature and precipitation in the Caribbean region, 1961–2010. International Journal of Climatology, 34 (9): 2957–2971.Google Scholar
- Yan, G, Qi, F, Wei, L, Aigang, L, Yu, W, Jing, Y, … & Qianqian, M (2014). Changes of daily climate extremes in Loess Plateau during 1960–2013. Quaternary International 1–17. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.quaint.2014.08.052.
- Zhao, C, Wang, W, & Xing, W (2012). Regional Analysis of Extreme Temperature Indices for the Haihe River Basin from 1960 to 2009. Procedia Engineering, 28(0), 604–607. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2012.01.776.