Present Status and Future Directions for Policy Research and Evaluation in School-Based Counseling
This capstone chapter summarizes the contributions of 32 chapters of the International Handbook for Policy Research in School-Based Counseling. Summaries of 13 chapters examining various aspects of policy research methodology are presented. Topics include research ethics, scoping reviews, comparative survey research, mixed methods evaluation, needs assessment, methodological reviews, outcome research, effectiveness research, large database mining, evaluation of state policies, qualitative methods, cost-benefit analysis, and comparative case study approaches. In addition, a global summary is presented based on the findings and conclusions of handbook chapters from Nigeria and neighboring countries; countries in Eastern and Southern Africa; the Chinese Mainland, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Japan; South Korea; India; Bangladesh; Malaysia; the UK; Malta; Turkey and other Middle Eastern countries; the USA; Canada; Australia; New Zealand; and Costa Rica, Venezuela, and other South American countries. Each of these national and regional reviews described the policy landscape for school-based counseling, summarized existing policy research, and identified needed policy research based upon research gaps and national policy issues. Finally, an agenda for promoting the development of the international infrastructure needed to support conduct, dissemination, and use of rigorous, impactful school-based counseling policy research is presented. This agenda includes the formation of the International Society for Policy Research and Evaluation in School-Based Counseling to continue the work that has been initiated by this handbook.
KeywordsPolicy research Policy evaluation School-based counseling International
- Audin, K., Mellor-Clark, J., Barkham, M., Margison, F., McGrath, G., Lewis, S., et al. (2001). Practice research networks for effective psychological therapies. Journal of Mental Health, 10(3). doi: 10.1080/09638230125294.
- Carey, J. C., & Martin, I. (2015). A review of the major school counseling policy studies in the United States 2000–2014. Amherst, MA: The Ronald H. Fredrickson Center for Counseling Outcomes, Research and Evaluation.Google Scholar
- Carey, J. C., Aluede, O., Bertolani, J., Harris, B., Kose, A., Martin, I., et al. (2015). The state of the art of international policy research on school-based counseling. Panel presentation at the annual meeting of the International Association for Counseling, Verona, IT.Google Scholar
- Dimmitt, C., Carey, J. C., & Hatch, T. (2007). Evidence-based school counseling: Making a difference with data-driven practices. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.Google Scholar
- Education Review Office (2013). Improving guidance and counselling for students in secondary schools. Wellington: Education Review Office.Google Scholar
- Harris, B. (2013). Scoping review of school-based counselling internationally. London: BACP.Google Scholar
- Harris, B. (2007). Supporting the emotional work of school leader. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Lapan, R.T., Gysbers, N. C., & Sun, Y. (1997). The impact of more fully implemented guidance programs on the school experiences of high school students: A statewide evaluation study. Journal of Counseling & Development, 75, 292–302.Google Scholar
- Lapan, R.T., Gysbers, N. C., & Petroski, G. F. (2003). Helping seventh graders be safe and successful in school: A statewide study of the impact of comprehensive guidance and counseling programs. Journal of Counseling and Development, 79, 320–330.Google Scholar
- Sink, C. A., Akos, P., Turnbull, R. J., & Mvududu, N. (2008). An investigation of comprehensive school counseling programs and academic achievement in Washington State middle schools. Professional School Counseling 12, 43–53.Google Scholar
- Sink, C. A., & Stroh, H. R. (2003). Raising achievement test scores of early elementary school students through comprehensive guidance and counseling programs. Professional School Counseling, 6, 350–365.Google Scholar
- Trevisan, M., Bertolani, J., Falzon, R., Kose, A., Martin, I., Sink, C., et al. (2016). International policy research on school-based counseling with implications for the development of school counseling in Italy. Panel presentation at the International Conference on School Counseling, Verona, IT.Google Scholar