Using Advocacy in Policy Research and School-Based Counseling
Advocacy as both an act and a process is central to promoting the well-being of children as global citizens in part by school-based counseling and policy research. By using the framework of the Advocacy Toolkit (UNICEF, 2010a) and Monitoring and Evaluating Advocacy (UNICEF, 2010b), this chapter will focus on the overall process of advocacy and describe the International Counseling Advocacy Model – School-Based Counseling and Related Policy Research (ICAM-SBC).
KeywordsAdvocacy School-based counseling Policy research Advocacy model
- Advocacy. (n.d.). In Marriam-Webster online. Retrieved from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/advocacy.
- Belinda, H. (2013). International school – based counselling. Counselling MindEd, August.Google Scholar
- Lee, M. A., Smith, T. J., & Henry, R. G. (2013). Power politics: Advocacy to activism in social justice Counseling. Journal for Social Action in Counseling and Psychology, 5(3), 70.Google Scholar
- Lewis, J. A., Arnold, M. S., House, R., & Toporek, R. L. (2002). ACA advocacy competencies. Retrieved 3 Oct 2015.Google Scholar
- Lewis, J. A., Ratts, M. J., Paladina, D. A., & Toporek, R. L. (2011). Social justice counseling and advocacy: Developing new leadership roles and competencies. Journal for Social Action in Counseling and Psychology, 3, 5–16.Google Scholar
- Martin, I., Lauterbach, A., & Carey, J. C. (2015). The identification of factors affecting the development and practice of school-based counseling in different national contexts: A grounded theory study using a worldwide sample of descriptive journal articles and book chapters. International Journal for the Advancement of Counseling, 37, 305–318.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- The United Nations. (1948). Universal declaration of human rights. UN General Assembly. Universial Declaration of Human Rights. United Nations, 217 (lll) A, Paris, art.Google Scholar
- The United Nations. (1989). Convention on the rights of the Child. Treaty Series, 1577, 3.Google Scholar
- UNICEF. (2010a). Advocacy toolkit: A guide to influencing decisions that improve children’s lives (1st ed.). UNICEF: New York.Google Scholar
- UNICEF. (2010b). Monitoring and evaluating advocacy: Companion to the advocacy toolkit. New York: Coffman, J.Google Scholar
- UNESCO. (2015). Education 2030: Towards inclusive and equitable quality education and lifelong learning for all. The Incheon Declaration: Incheon, Republic of Korea.Google Scholar