Update in Development: Section B—Autism Spectrum Disorder
The purpose of this update is to provide a review of current literature pertaining to Autism Spectrum Disorders and some of the more useful and practical innovations in the field, based on recent publications as well as some consensus. We have also taken the liberty of inserting some practical key points in the update. These are intended to facilitate acquisition of salient historical points, as well as demystifying the presentation of the diagnosis to parents and caregivers.
We will begin by giving a general overview of issues around prevalence and some discussion around etiology, assessment and treatment, and then select a few important and possibly controversial topics to discuss. Throughout the chapter, we will attempt to make things easy to understand, practical and as much as possible, evidence-based.
KeywordsAutism spectrum disorder Microarray Epigenetic Gender dysphoria/gender identification disorder Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder Anxiety Developmental coordination disorder Dysbiosis Irritability/aggression Intellectual disability Applied behavioral analysis
- Agudelo A, Rosas-Bermudez A, et al. Birth spacing and risk of autism and other neurodevelopmental disabilities: a systematic review. Pediatrics. 2016;137(5):1–13.Google Scholar
- American Speech-Language Hearing AssociationAutism review; 2015. http://www.asha.org/PRPSpecificTopic.aspx?folderid=8589935303§ion=Overview
- Buio J. Prevalence of autism spectrum disorders, among children aged eight years: autism and developmental disabilities monitoring network. CDC. 2014;63(SS02):1–12.Google Scholar
- Centres for Disease Control and Prevention 2016. http://www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks.html.
- Constantino J. 2012. Social responsiveness scale, second edition (SRS-2). www.wpspublish.com
- Demicheli V, Rivetti A, et al. Vaccines for measles mumps and rubella in children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;2:CD004407.Google Scholar
- Folstein SE, Carcache LM. Psychiatric comorbidity in autism spectrum disorder. In: CJ MD, editor. Autism spectrum disorder. Oxford University Press: Oxford; 2016.Google Scholar
- Jain A, Marshall J, et al. Autism occurrence by MMR vaccine status among US children with older siblings with and without autism. Lancet. 2015;313(15):1534–40.Google Scholar
- Joseph L, Soorya L, Thurm A. Autism spectrum disorder. Cambridge, MA: Hogrefe and Huber Publishers; 2014.Google Scholar
- Lord C, Rutter M. 2012. Autism diagnostic observation schedule, second edition (AD0S-2). www.wpspublish.com
- Richard EF. Prevalence, significance of clinical characteristics of seizures, epilepsy and subclinical electrical activity in autism. NAJ Med Sci. 2015;8(3):113–22.Google Scholar
- Rutter M, Barley A. 2003. Social communication questionnaire. www.wpspublish.com
- Schaefer GB. Clinical genetic aspects of ASD spectrum disorders. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17(180):1–14.Google Scholar
- Tammimies K, Marshall CR, Walker S, Kaur G, Thiruvahindrapuram B, Lionel AC, Yuen RKC, Uddin M, Roberts W, Weksberg R, Woodbury-Smith M, Zwaigenbaum L, Anagnostou E, Wang Z, Wei J, Howe JL, Gazzellone MJ, Lau L, Sung WWL, Whitten K, Vardy C, Crosbie V, Tsang B, D’Abate L, Tong WWL, Luscombe S, Doyle T, Carter MT, Szatmari P, Stuckless S, Merico D, Stavropoulos DJ, Scherer SW, Fernandez BA. Molecular diagnostic yield of chromosomal microarray analysis and whole-exome sequencing in children with autism spectrum disorder. JAMA. 2015;314(9):895.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- The Autism treatment Network Autism speaks. 2017 (https://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/tool-kits).
- The Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (2014) The Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) 63(SS02):1–21. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6302a1.htm .
- Van der Meer JM, Oerlemans AM, et al. Are autism spectrum disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder different manifestations of one overarching disorder? Cognitive and symptom evidence from a clinical and population-based sample. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2012;51(11):1160–72.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zablotsky B, Black LI, et al. Estimated prevalence of autism and other developmental disabilities following questionnaire changes in the 2014 national health interview survey. Natl Health Stat Rep. 2015;87:1–20.Google Scholar