An Advanced Web API for Isochrones Calculation Using OpenStreetMap Data
This chapter demonstrates a software that finally makes urban reachability analysis free, open-source, and usable for non-technical urban analysts. We aim to provide researchers with a highly-parametric API (Application Programming Interface) for creating isochrones worldwide, meeting various scenario requirements with high accuracy. We start with OpenStreetMap road data that the software cleans by applying a sub-graph algorithm, removing isolated road links. This results in a fully-connected network for isochrones calculation, improving the web API stability. Then, a non-recursive breadth-first-search algorithm runs in parallel to generate isochrone links. The isochrones are then constructed using either link buffers or concave hulls to meet various accuracy requirements. The final outputs, including isochrones polygons, lines, and nodes with traverse distance attributes, can be exported in popular formats. The API supports thousands of isochrone calculations simultaneously, and is fully accessible online. The source code will also be provided for free for anyone to take and modify.
KeywordsIsochrones calculation Service area analysis Walkability analysis Web API
- Bauer, V., Gamper, J., Loperfido, R., Profanter, S., Putzer, S., & Timko, I. (2008). Computing isochrones in multi-modal, schedule-based transport networks. In Proceedings of the 16th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (p. 78). ACM.Google Scholar
- Buchhold, V. (2015). Fast Computation of Isochrones in Road Networks. Master Thesis. https://i11www.iti.uni-karlsruhe.de/_media/teaching/theses/ma-buchhold-15.pdf. Accessed August 18, 2016.
- Efentakis, A., Grivas, N., Lamprianidis, G., Magenschab, G., & Pfoser, D. (2013). Isochrones, traffic and DEMOgraphics. In Proceedings of the 21st ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (pp. 548–551). ACM.Google Scholar
- ESRI. (2016). Service Area Analysis of ArcGIS Network Analyst extension. https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/extensions/network-analyst/service-area.htm. Accessed September 20, 2016.
- Gamper, J., Böhlen, M., Cometti, W., & Innerebner, M. (2011). Defining isochrones in multimodal spatial networks. In Proceedings of the 20th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (pp. 2381–2384). ACM.Google Scholar
- Gamper, J., Böhlen, M., Cometti, W., & Innerebner, M. (2012). Scalable computation of isochrones with network expiration. In Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management (pp 526–543). Springer.Google Scholar
- HERE. (2016). Calculate Isoline, Routing API. https://developer.here.com/rest-apis/documentation/routing/topics/examples-calculate-isoline.html. Accessed September 20, 2016.
- Innerebner, M., Böhlen, M., & Gamper, J. (2013, April). ISOGA: A system for geographical reachability analysis. In International Symposium on Web and Wireless Geographical Information Systems (pp. 180–189). Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Marciuska, S., & Gamper, J. (2010). Determining objects within isochrones in spatial network databases. In East European Conference on Advances in Databases and Information Systems (pp. 392–405). Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- OSM. (2016). Definitions for OpenStreetMap highway keys. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway. Accessed November 8, 2016.
- pgRouting Manual. (2016). Description of pgr_labelgraph() function. http://docs.pgrouting.org/2.2/en/src/label_graph/doc/pgr_labelGraph.html. Accessed November 8, 2016.