Initial Crystallographic Studies of Visual Arrestin: Insights and Perspectives
Crystallographic studies of visual arrestin in the late nineties built upon fundamental biochemical work that had identified arrestins as proteins central to desensitization of GPCR signaling. The structural findings revealed the arrestin fold that had two related domains and a C-tail, which folded onto the molecule’s surface. The structures had a curious “polar core” that sat at the fulcrum of the two domains and which acts as an active site for conformational activation. The structures also served as the basis for elaborating the arrestin fold, found in all the kingdoms of life. Finally, the results suggested that quaternary structure i.e. the oligomeric state played a role in self-regulation.
KeywordsArrestin Crystal structure Arrestin fold Phosphate sensor Activation Conformational change
- Benovic JL, Kuhn H, Weyand I, Codina J, Caron MG, Lefkowitz RJ (1987) Functional desensitization of the isolated beta-adrenergic receptor by the beta-adrenergic receptor kinase: potential role of an analog of the retinal protein arrestin (48-kDa protein). Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84:8879–8882CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Dixon RA, Kobilka BK, Strader DJ, Benovic JL, Dohlman HG, Frielle T, Bolanowski MA, Bennett CD, Rands E, Diehl RE, Mumford RA, Slater EE, Sigal IS, Caron MG, Lefkowitz RJ, Strader CD (1986) Cloning of the gene and cDNA for mammalian beta-adrenergic receptor and homology with rhodopsin. Nature 321:75–79CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kang Y, Zhou XE, Gao X, He Y, Liu W, Ishchenko A, Barty A, White TA, Yefanov O, Han GW, Xu Q, de Waal PW, Ke J, Tan MH, Zhang C, Moeller A, West GM, Pascal BD, Van Eps N, Caro LN, Vishnivetskiy SA, Lee RJ, Suino-Powell KM, Gu X, Pal K, Ma J, Zhi X, Boutet S, Williams GJ, Messerschmidt M, Gati C, Zatsepin NA, Wang D, James D, Basu S, Roy-Chowdhury S, Conrad CE, Coe J, Liu H, Lisova S, Kupitz C, Grotjohann I, Fromme R, Jiang Y, Tan M, Yang H, Li J, Wang M, Zheng Z, Li D, Howe N, Zhao Y, Standfuss J, Diederichs K, Dong Y, Potter CS, Carragher B, Caffrey M, Jiang H, Chapman HN, Spence JC, Fromme P, Weierstall U, Ernst OP, Katritch V, Gurevich VV, Griffin PR, Hubbell WL, Stevens RC, Cherezov V, Melcher K, Xu HE (2015) Crystal structure of rhodopsin bound to arrestin by femtosecond X-ray laser. Nature 523:561–567CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Lucas M, Gershlick DC, Vidaurrazaga A, Rojas AL, Bonifacino JS, Hierro A (2016) Structural mechanism for cargo recognition by the retromer complex. Cell 167(1623–1635):e1614Google Scholar
- Wilden U, Wust E, Weyand I, Kuhn H (1986b) Rapid affinity purification of retinal arrestin (48 kDa protein) via its light-dependent binding to phosphorylated rhodopsin. FEBS Lett 207:292–295Google Scholar