Electronic Waste (E-Waste) Generation and Management
With the beginning of this millennium, the world has been struggling to deal with increasing quantities of solid waste. Rapid advancement in technology, especially the production of electrical and electronic goods has resulted in a new stream of waste known as electrical and electronic waste making it the fastest growing waste stream in the world. Equipment at the end-of-life (EOL) leads to e-waste generation in huge amounts. Increasing obsolescence rates of electrical and electronic equipment result in higher e-waste generation rates leading to disposal problems. E-waste, if managed improperly or inadequately, can cause enormous impact on the global environment as well as on human health.
- Aleksandrovich, S., Nicolaevich, E. and Ivanovich, E., 1998. Method of processing of products based on chalcogenides of base metals containing metals of platinum group and gold. Russian Patent, RU2112064, C22B 11/02.Google Scholar
- APME, 2000. Plastics recovery from waste electrical & electronic equipment in non-ferrous metal processes, 8036/GB/07/00. APME (Association of Plastics Manufacturers in Europe) Report.Google Scholar
- Baldé, C.P., Wang, F., Kuehr, R. and Huisman, J., 2015. The Global E-Waste Monitor 2014. Bonn, Germany.Google Scholar
- Brusselaers, J., Hageluken, C. and Mark, F., 2005. An Eco-efficient Solution for Plastics-Metals-Mixtures from Electronic Waste: the Integrated Metals Smelter. In: 5th IDENTIPLAST 2005, the Biennial Conference on the Recycling and Recovery of Plastics Identifying the Opportunities for Plastics Recovery, Brussels, Belgium.Google Scholar
- Day, F.G., 1984. Recovery of platinum group metals, gold and silver from scrap. US Patent, US4427442.Google Scholar
- Dunn, J., Wendell, E. and Carda, D.D., 1991. Chlorination process for recovering gold values from gold alloys. US Patent, US5004500.Google Scholar
- ETC/RWM, 2003. European Topic Centre on Resource and Waste Management (Topic Centre of the European Environment Agency) part of the European Environment Information and Observation Network (EIONET). Accessed on January 2007, httkp://waste.eionet.eu.intk/waste/6.
- Hageluken, C., 2006. Recycling of electronic scrap at Umicore’s integrated metals smelter and refinery. World of Metallurgy – ERZMETALL, 59(3), 152–161.Google Scholar
- Jadhav, S., 2013. Electronic waste: A growing concern in today’s environment sustainability. International Journal of Social Science & Interdisciplinary Research, 2(2), 139–147.Google Scholar
- Jha, M.K., Kumar, S.V., Pandey, B.D., Kumar, R. and Lee, J., 2010. Leaching studies for the recovery of metals from the waste Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs). The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, Proceedings of TMS-2010, 945–952.Google Scholar
- Kogan, V., 2006. Process for the recovery of precious metals from electronic scrap by hydrometallurgical technique. International Patent, WO/2006/013568 (C22B 11/00), W.I.P. Organization.Google Scholar
- Kumar, S.P., Govindaradjane, S. and Sundararajan, T., 2013. Recovery of Copper from Printed Circuit Boards through Electrolytic Process – A Case Study. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications (IJERA), 3(2), 469–473.Google Scholar
- Kumari, A., Jha, M.K., Kumar, V., Jeong, J. and Lee, J., 2010. Recovery of lead from the solder of waste Printed Circuit Boards. Proceedings of the XI International Seminar on Mineral Processing Technology (MPT-2010).Google Scholar
- Madigan, M. T., Martinko, J. M., Bender, K., Buckley, D., and Stahl, D., 2015. Brock Biology of Microorganisms. Pearson Publishers.Google Scholar
- Masavetas, I., Moutsatsou, A., Nikolaou, E., Spanou, S., Zoikis-Karathanasis, A., Pavlatou, E.A. and Spyrellis, N., 2009. Production of copper powder from printed circuit boards by electrodeposition. Global NEST Journal, 11(2), 241–247.Google Scholar
- Maurer, A., Schlummer, M. and Altnau, G., 2004. Material recovery from mobile phones by CreaSolv process. In: Electronic Goes Green. Fraunhofer IZM, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Mražíková, A., Marcinčáková, R., Kaduková, J. and Velgosová, O., 2013. Influence of bacterial culture to copper bioleaching from printed circuit boards. Journal of the Polish Mineral Engineering Society, July-Dec, 2013, 59–62.Google Scholar
- Natarajan, G., Ramanathan, T., Bharadwaj, A. and Ting, Yen-Peng, 2015. Bioleaching of Metals from Major Hazardous Solid Wastes. In: Microbiology for Minerals, Metals, Materials and the Environment. Abhilash, B.D., Pandey, and K.A. Natarajan (eds). CRC Press.Google Scholar
- Ramachandra, T.V. and Saira Varghese, K., 2004. Environmentally sound options for e-wastes management. Envis Journal of Human Settlements, March.Google Scholar
- Terazono, Atsushi, Shinsuke Murakami, Naoya Abe, Bulent Inanc, Yuichi Moriguchi, Shin-ichi Sakai, Michikazu Kojima, Aya Yoshida, Jinhui Li, Jianxin Yang, Ming H. Wong, Amit Jain, In-Suk Kim, Genandrialine L. Peralta, Chun-Chao Lin, Thumrongrut Mungcharoen and Eric Williams, 2006. Current status and research on E-waste issues in Asia. Journal of Material Cycles & Waste Management, 8, 1–12.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- UNEP, 2015. Report of the Conference of the Parties to the Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and Their Disposal on the work of its twelfth meeting, Geneva.Google Scholar
- Veldbuizen, H. and Sippel, B., 1994. Mining discarded electronics. Indian Environmental Society, 17(3), 7.Google Scholar
- Velgosova, O., Kadukova, J., Mrazikova, A., Blaskova, A., Petoczova, M., Harvathova, H. and Stofko, M., 2010. Influence of selected parameters on nickel bioleaching from spent nickel-cadmium batteries. Mineralia Slovaca, 42, 365–368.Google Scholar
- Wang, J., Bai, J., Xu, J. and Liang, B., 2009. Bioleaching of metals from printed wire boards by Acidithiobacillus ferrooxidans and Acidithiobacillus thiooxidans and their mixture. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 172, 1100–1105.
- Wiaux, P., 1990. The recovery and recycling of metal utilizing electrolytic techniques. http://infohouse.p2ric.org/ref/29/28404.pdf.
- Willner, J., Kadukova, J., Fornalczyk, A. and Saternus, M., 2015. Biohydrometallurgical methods for metals recovery from waste materials. Metalurgija. 54(1), 255–259.Google Scholar
- Zakrewski, J., Chamer, R. and Koscielniak, A., 1992. Method for recovering gold and nickel from electronic scrap and waste. Polish Patent, PL158889B (C22B7/00).Google Scholar
- Zhou, P., Zheng, Z. and Tie, J., 2005. Technological process for extracting gold, silver and palladium from electronic industry waste. Chinese Patent, CN1603432A (C22B 11/00).Google Scholar