Amazonia, Organized Crime and Illegal Deforestation: Best Practices for the Protection of the Brazilian Amazon

  • Franco Perazzoni
Chapter

Abstract

This chapter examines the vigorous and focused enforcement the Federal Police of Brazil against the wide range of mass environmental crime in the country’s Amazon region, which covers 60% of the entire rainforest Basin (the other 40% is divided among eight other countries). It concentrates on organized crime, of which environmental violations are a rapidly growing proportion, with a focus on criminal networks of deforestation and mining in Amazonas State, the world’s ninth largest jurisdiction whose protection of the rain forest is almost singlehandedly responsible for Brazil’s GHG reduction and a bulwark against the region’s “arc of deforestation.”

Keywords

Amazon Brazil Crime Environment Satellite monitoring 

Bibliography

  1. Adeodato, S., M. Betiol, and M. Monzoni. 2011. Madeira de Ponta a Ponta: o caminho desde a floresta até o consumo. São Paulo: Fundação Getúlio Vargas.Google Scholar
  2. AMERIPOL. Associação de Polícias das Américas. 2014. Buenas Prácticas: un modelo de intervención policial efectivo y transcendente em América. Bogotá: The Police Community of the Americas.Google Scholar
  3. DMAPH. 2012. Crimes Against the Flora Course. Brasília: ANP (Academia Nacional de Polícia).Google Scholar
  4. Fearnside, P.M. 2005. Desmatamento na Amazônia brasileira: história, índices e consequências. Megadiversidade 1 (4): 113–123.Google Scholar
  5. GAGEO. 2016. Relatórios, laudos, informações e dados produzidos pelo Grupo de Análise e Geointeligência da Divisão de Repressão aos Crimes contra o Meio Ambiente e Patrimônio Histórico da Polícia Federal (DMAPH/PF). Brasília: GAGEO.Google Scholar
  6. Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais (INPE). 2016. Monitoring of the Brazilian Amazon Forest by Satellite 1999–2009. São José dos Campos: INPE.Google Scholar
  7. Mongabay. 2010. Operation Jurupari and IIlegal Logging in the Amazon. https://news.mongabay.com/2010/07.
  8. National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA). 2006. National System for Geospatial Intelligence (GEOINT) Basic Doctrine. Springfield, VA: National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency.Google Scholar
  9. Perazzoni, Franco. 2012. Criminalidade Ambiental Organizada: o desmate ilegal em Mato Grosso. In Fórum Nacional de Segurança Pública. Google Scholar
  10. Perazzoni, Franco. 2013. SIG, Amazônia e Polícia Federal: Geointeligência no combate ao desmatamento ilegal na Amazônia. Master in Science (Msc.) thesis, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Lisbon.Google Scholar
  11. Pereira, M., M. Panjer, T.S. Greenberg, and W.B. Magrath. 2011. Justice for Forests: Improving Criminal Justice Efforts to Combat Illegal Logging. Washington, DC: The World Bank.Google Scholar
  12. United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC). 2011. Colombia: Coca Cultivation Survey. Bogotá: UNODC.Google Scholar
  13. Waiselfisz, J.J. 2016. Mapa da Violência dos Municípios Brasileiros. Brasília: OEI.Google Scholar

Copyright information

© The Author(s) 2018

Authors and Affiliations

  • Franco Perazzoni
    • 1
  1. 1.Brazilian Federal PoliceBrasíliaBrazil

Personalised recommendations