Evaluation of E-Infrastructure Deployment in OECD and MENA Countries
- 490 Downloads
This paper introduces new indices quantifying country’s level of e-infrastructure deployment. These indices comprise six components, which include several indicators, and are based on parametric or nonparametric methods. They improve existing indices. Based on index calculations, variations between countries, regions, and over time are analyzed. The data used covers MENA and OECD countries, 2000–2007. Analysis results identified areas, in which countries need improvements, and showed that some MENA countries outperformed some OECD countries. The rankings based on the indices differ only slightly. Additionally, the parametric method-based index produces equally distributed value ranges and shows an overall e-infrastructure improvement over time.
KeywordsICT infrastructure Indices E-readiness Composite index Principal component analysis MENA OECD
- 2.Agénor, P. R. (2003). Does globalization hurt the poor? World Bank, Unpublished manuscript.Google Scholar
- 3.Andersen, T. M., & Herbertsson, T.T. (2003). Measuring globalization. IZA Discussion Paper, 817, Bonn.Google Scholar
- 4.APEC. (2000). E-commerce readiness guide, Electronic Commerce Steering Group, available at: www.ecommerce.gov/apec. Accessed 20 Sept 2010.
- 7.CID. (2006). Readiness for the networked world – a guide for developing countries. http://www.readinessguide.com.
- 8.Danish, D. (2006). E-readiness for developing countries: Moving the focus from the environment to the users. The Electronic Journal of Information Systems in Developing Countries, 27(6), 1–14.Google Scholar
- 10.Dreher, A. (2005). Does globalization affect growth? empirical evidence from a new index, University of Konstanz Department of Economics, Unpublished Manuscript.Google Scholar
- 11.Economist Intelligence Unit. (2008). E-readiness rankings 2008: Maintaining momentum. A white paper.Google Scholar
- 12.Economist Intelligence Unit. (2009). The 2009 E-readiness.Google Scholar
- 13.Heshmati, A. (2006). Measurement of a multidimensional index of globalization. Global Economy Journal, 6(2): Paper 1.Google Scholar
- 14.Heshmati, A., & Oh, J. (2006). Alternative composite Lisbon development strategy indices: A comparison of EU, USA, Japan and Korea. The European Journal of Comparative Economics, 3(2), 133–170.Google Scholar
- 15.Heshmati, A., Tausch, A., & Bajalan, C. (2008). Measurement and analysis of child well-being in middle and high income countries. The European Journal of Comparative Economics, 5(2), 227–286.Google Scholar
- 17.ITU. (2010). Partnership on measuring ICT for development, core ICT indicators. International Telecommunication Union. Retrieved from http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/Statistics/Pages/coreindicators/default.aspx.
- 18.ITU. (2003). World Telecommunication Development Report 2003: Access Indicators for the Information Society. 7th edition.Google Scholar
- 19.ITU. (2009). Measuring the information society: the ICT development index. International Telecommunication Union.Google Scholar
- 20.ITU. (2007). Measuring the information society: ICT opportunity index and world telecommunication/ICT indicator. International Telecommunication Union.Google Scholar
- 21.ITU & United Nations Conference on Trade and Development. (2007). World Information Society Report 2007. Beyond World Summit on the Information Society.Google Scholar
- 23.Kearney A.T. Inc. & The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. (2002). Globalization’s last hurrah? Foreign Policy, 128, 38–51.Google Scholar
- 24.Kearney A.T. Inc. & The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. (2003). Measuring globalization: who’s up, who’s down? Foreign Policy, January/February, 60–72.Google Scholar
- 25.Lim, G.C., & Nguyen, V.H. (2013). Alternative weighting approaches to computing indexes of economic activity, Journal of Economic Surveys. 29(2), 287–300.Google Scholar
- 27.OECD - Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (2008). In Handbook on construction composite indicator: Methodology and User Guide. European Commission, Joint Research Centre, OECD publication, ISBN: 9789264043466.Google Scholar
- 31.United Nations Conference on Trade and Development. (2005). Information and communication technology (ICT) development indices [Online]. Available at: http://unctad.org/en/docs/iteipc20031_en.pdf.
- 32.UNDP - United Nations Development Programme. (2001). Creating a development dynamic, Final report of the digital opportunity initiative, Human Development Report [Online]. Available at: http://www.undp.org/hdr2001/completenew.pdf.
- 33.WEF, infoDev & INSEAD. (2003). The Global Information Technology Report. Available at: http://www.infodev.org/articles/global-information-technology-report-2003-2004.