Internet-Oriented Educational Course “Introduction to Parallel Computing”: A Simple Way to Start
Educational course “Introduction to Parallel Computing” is discussed. A modern method of presentation of the educational materials for simultaneous teaching a large number of attendees (Massive Open Online Course, MOOC) has been applied. The educational course is delivered in the simplest form with a wide use of the presentational materials. Lectures of the course are subdivided into relatively small topics, which do not require significant effort to learn. This provides a continuous success of learning and increases the motivation of the students. For evaluation of the progress in the understanding of the educational content being studied, the course contains the test questionnaires and the tasks for the development of the parallel programs by the students themselves. The automated validation and scalability program evaluation are provided. These features can attract a large number of attendees and pay the students’ attention to the professional activity in the field of supercomputer technologies.
KeywordsParallel computing Massive Open Online Course Shared-memory systems OpenMP
This research was supported by the Russian Science Foundation, project No 16-11-10150 “Novel efficient methods and software tools for the time consuming decision making problems with using supercomputers of superior performance”.
- 1.Computer Science Curricula (2013). https://www.acm.org/education/CS2013-final-report.pdf
- 2.NSF/IEEE-TCPP Curriculum Initiative on Parallel and Distributed Computing - Core Topics for Undergraduates. http://grid.cs.gsu.edu/~tcpp/curriculum/?q=home
- 3.Internet-University of Supercomputer Technologies. http://www.osp.ru/os/2009/02/7323236
- 5.Free Online Courses for everyone! List of MOOCs offered by the Best Universities and Entities. https://www.mooc-list.com
- 6.Parallel Programming Concepts. https://open.hpi.de/courses/2efebcdd-0749-4ca3-8396-58a09e7bf070
- 8.High Performance Scientific Computing. https://www.coursera.org/course/scicomp
- 9.Intro to Parallel Programming. Using CUDA to Harness the Power of GPUs. https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-parallel-programming-cs344
- 10.Heterogeneous Parallel Programming. https://www.coursera.org/course/hetero
- 11.Gergel, V.P.: Theory and Practice of Parallel Computing, Moscow (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Gergel, V., Liniov, A., Meyerov, I., Sysoyev, A.: NSF/IEEE-TCpp. Curriculum implementation at the State University of Nizhni Novgorod. In: Proceedings of the International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, IPDPS, pp. 1079–1084 (2014). Article no. 6969501Google Scholar
- 13.Moodle - Open-source learning platform. https://moodle.org