- 569 Downloads
The concluding chapter draws together the strands in emphasizing a core set of arguments. First, the centrality and utility of identity theory to an examination of contemporary security is reiterated. Within this assertion, a Foucauldian notion of identity as being constructed rather than essentialist is put forward. This allows for recognition that political myth is very much at the heart of a burgeoning and rapidly developing identity politics in the contemporary West. Finally, on the specific policy area of Prevent and related counter-terrorism strategy, the case is made for continuing to develop and promote this area of policy as an essential – if controversial – plank in security policy in the twenty-first century.
- Alghamdi A (2011) Transformations of the Liminal Self: Configurations of Home and Identity for Muslim Characters in British Postcolonial Fiction. Bloomington IN, iUniverse.Google Scholar
- Blee K (2002) Inside Organized Racism: Women in the Hate Movement. Berkeley, University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Boyle D and Akkoc R (2016) Labour MP Jo Cox dies after being shot and stabbed as husband urges people to “fight against the hate” that killed her. The Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/16/labour-mp-jo-cox-shot-in-leeds-witnesses-report/. Accessed 15 December 2016.
- Britain First (2016) Britain First and “Racism”. https://www.britainfirst.org/racism/. Accessed 12 December 2016.
- Bulman M (2016) Britain First should be listed as a terrorist organisation, suggests Labour MP. The Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britain-first-terrorist-organisation-listed-lousie-haigh-jo-cox-thomas-mair-labour-mp-a7439036.html. Accessed 12 December 2016.
- Casey L (2016) The tough questions on social integration are being ducked. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/04/tough-questions-social-integration-laws-values-every-person-britain. Accessed 15 December 2016.
- Elgot (2016) Neo-Nazi group National Action banned by UK home secretary. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/12/neo-nazi-group-national-action-banned-by-uk-home-secretary. Accessed 15 December 2016.
- Foster P (2016) Britain First: who are the far right group whose name was “shouted by Jo Cox gunman”? The Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/16/britain-first-the-far-right-group-with-a-massive-facebook-follow/. Accessed 12 December 2016.
- Foucault M (1972) The Archaeology of Knowledge. London, Routledge.Google Scholar
- Fraser G (2016) Assimilation threatens the existence of other cultures. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2016/dec/08/assimilation-threatens-the-existence-of-other-cultures. Accessed 15 December 2016.
- Freedom (2016) Anti-Fascist Network: National Action ban isn’t a positive development. https://freedomnews.org.uk/anti-fascist-network-national-action-ban-isnt-a-positive-development/. Accessed 15 December 2016.
- Kitschelt H (2004) Diversification and Reconfiguration of Party Systems in Postindustrial Democracies. Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, Europäische Politik 3: 1–23.Google Scholar
- Macdonald K (2016) Phillip Giraldi on the Anti Semitism Awareness Act. The Occidental Observer. http://www.theoccidentalobserver.net/2016/12/philip-giraldi-on-the-anti-semitism-awareness-act/Accessed 20 December 2016.
- PTA (1974) Chapter 56, Part 1. http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/hmso/pta1974.htm. Accessed 15 December 2016.
- Rayner G, Farmer G and Boyle D (2016) Jo Cox “was victim of political killer who searched online for William Hague”, court hears. The Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/14/jo-cox-murder-trial-prosecution-to-open-case-against-man-accused/. Accessed 12 December 2016.
- Rushdie S (1988) The Satanic Verses. London, Viking.Google Scholar
- Rushdie D (2009). Interview with Irshad Manji, 92nd Street Y. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Eb6OigpVM. Accessed 15 December 2016.
- Sharp J (1994) A Topology of ‘Post’ Nationality: Re-mapping Identity in the Satanic Verses. Ecumene 1: 65–76.Google Scholar