Terahertz Spectroscopy Applications in Medicament Analysis
Terahertz spectroscopy came to the attention of the broader scientific community in the 90s of the 20th century with the development of science and technology in particular, enabling to work in terahertz spectral region. Terahertz spectroscopy has a wide possibilities of applications beginning in classical spectroscopy of gun powders, plastics, explosives, liquids, through terahertz imaging of medicaments, tissues, materials or layers, to remote observation/identification of hidden objects mainly for security purposes. The aim of this paper is to introduce possible applications in analysis of pharmaceuticals with different amount of active ingredient content. According to the results, the classical terahertz spectroscopy is not as suitable as other spectroscopic methods targeted on analyzing content of pharmaceuticals showing persistent inconveniences of this spectroscopy. All measurements were done using the TPS Spectra 3000 instrument.
KeywordsAttenuated total reflection (ATR) terahertz time-domain spectroscopy Terahertz imaging Transmittance Absorbance Pharmaceutical analysis Euthyrox
This work was supported by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports of the Czech Republic within the National Sustainability Programme project No. LO1303 (MSMT-7778/2014) and the European Regional Development Fund under the project CEBIA-Tech (CZ.1.05/2.1.00/03.0089). The authors declare no competing financial interests.
- 2.Soltani, A., Jahn, D., Duschek, L., Castro-Camus, E., Koch, M., Withayachumnankul, W.: Attenuated total reflection terahertz time-domain spectroscopy: uncertainty analysis and reduction scheme. IEEE Trans. Terahertz Sci. Technol. 6, 1–8 (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Ajito, K., Ueno, Y., Song, H.-J.: Visualization of pharmaceutical drug molecules by Terahertz chemical imaging. NTT Tech. Rev. 10 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Giles, J.P., Raitt, B.J., Joseph, C.S., Hines, M.E., Giles, R.H.: Investigating the effects of terahertz radiation on Bacillus subtilis. In: Tuchin V.V., Duncan D.D., Larin K.V., Leahy M.J., Wang R.K. (eds.) Proceedings SPIE 8222; Dynamics and Fluctuations in Biomedical Photonics IX. p. 9. SPIE (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Sun, Y., Fischer, M.B., MacPherson, E.P.: Effects of formaling fixing on the THz properties of biological tissues. J. Biol. Opt. 14(6), 6401–6417 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Jin, Y., Kim, G., Jeon, S.: Terahertz dielectric properties of polymers. J. Korean Phys. Soc. 49, 513–517 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Suhandy, D., Suzuki, T., Ogawa, Y., Kondo, N., Ishihara, T., Takemoto, Y.: A quantitative study for determination of sugar concentration using attenuated total reflectance terahertz (ATR-THz) spectroscopy. Proceedings SPIE. 8027, 802705–802705-6 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Liu, G.F., Ma, S.H., Ji, T., Zhao, H.W., Wang, W.F.: Differentiation of illicit drugs with THz time-domain spectroscopy. Nucl. Sci. Tech. 21, 209–213 (2010)Google Scholar
- 14.Zhang, Q., Gladden, L.F., Avalle, P., Axel Zeitler, J., Mantle, M.D.: Terahertz pulsed imaging and magnetic resonance imaging as tools to probe formulation stability. Pharmaceutics 5, 591–608 (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Pharmacopeia, U.S.: Levothyroxine sodium. http://www.pharmacopeia.cn/v29240/usp29nf24s0_m45000.html. Accessed 09 July 2016