Coherence–Incoherence Transition and Properties of Different Types of Chimeras in a Network of Nonlocally Coupled Chaotic Maps
We explore the bifurcation transition from coherence to incoherence in an ensemble of nonlocally coupled logistic maps. It is shown that two types of chimera states, namely amplitude and phase, can be found in this network. We reveal a bifurcation mechanism by analyzing the evolution of space-time profiles and the coupling function with varying coupling coefficient and formulate the conditions for realizing the chimera states in the ensemble. The regularities are established for the evolution of cross-correlations of oscillations in the network elements at the bifurcations related to the coupling strength variation. We reveal the features of cross-correlations for phase and amplitude chimera states. It is also shown that the effect of time intermittency between the amplitude and phase chimeras can be realized in the considered ensemble.
KeywordsLogistic map Chimera Nonlocal coupling Networks
The authors acknowledge support from SFB910. Vadim S. Anishchenko, acknowledges support from the Russian Science Foundation (grant No. 16-12-10175). Tatiana E. Vadivasova and Galina I. Strelkova acknowledge support from RFBR (grants No. 14-52-12002 and No. 15-02-02288).
- 4.Anishchenko, V.S., Aranson, I.S., Postnov, D.E., Rabinovich, M.I.: Spatial synchronization and chaos development bifurcations in a chain of coupled oscillators. Dokl. USSR Acad. Sci. 286 (5), 1120–1124 (1986) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 7.Astakhov, V.V., Bezruchko, B.P., Ponomarenko, V.I.: Multistability formation, isomer classification and their evolution in coupled Feigenbaum’s systems. Izv. Vuz. Radiophys. 34, 35–39 (1991) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 11.Epstein, I.R., Pojman, J.A.: An Introduction to Nonlinear Chemical Dynamics: Oscillations, Waves, Patterns, and Chaos. Oxford University Press, New York (1998)Google Scholar
- 14.Kuramoto, Y., Battogtokh, D.: Coexistence of Coherence and Incoherence in Nonlocally Coupled Phase Oscillators. Nonlinear Phenom. Complex Syst. 4, 380–385 (2002)Google Scholar
- 18.Mikhailov, A.S., Loskutov, A.: Foundation of Synergetics. Complex Patterns. Springer, Berlin (1995)Google Scholar
- 28.Panaggio, M.J., Abrams, D.M.: Chimera states: Coexistence of coherence and incoherence in networks of coupled oscillators. Nonlinearity 28, R67(1–18) (2015)Google Scholar
- 31.Rabinovich, M.I.: Stochastic self-oscillations and turbulence. Physics–Uspekhi 21, 443–469 (1978)Google Scholar
- 32.Rabinovich, M.I., Trubetskov, D.I.: Introduction to the Theory of Oscillations and Waves, 1st edn. Nauka, Moscow (1984); Regular and Chaotic Dynamics, 2nd edn. Moscow–Izhevsk (2000) (in Russian)Google Scholar