TB-Structure: Collective Intelligence for Exploratory Keyword Search
In this paper we address an exploratory search challenge by presenting a new (structure-driven) collaborative filtering technique. The aim is to increase search effectiveness by predicting implicit seeker’s intents at an early stage of the search process. This is achieved by uncovering behavioral patterns within large datasets of preserved collective search experience. We apply a specific tree-based data structure called a TB (There-and-Back) structure for compact storage of search history in the form of merged query trails – sequences of queries approaching iteratively a seeker’s goal. The organization of TB-structures allows inferring new implicit trails for the prediction of a seeker’s intents. We used experiments to demonstrate both: the storage compactness and inference potential of the proposed structure.
KeywordsKeyword search Query trail TB-structure Collective intelligence
This article is based upon work from COST Action KEYSTONE IC1302, supported by COST (European Cooperation in Science and Technology).
- 1.Mayer-Schönberger, V., Cukier, K.: Big Data: A Revolution That will Transform How We Live, Work, and Think. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Canada (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.McAfee, A., Brynjolfsson, E., Davenport, T.H., Patil, D.J., Barton, D.: Big data. Manag. Revolution Harvard Bus Rev. 90(10), 61–67 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Chen, H., Chiang, R.H., Storey, V.C.: Business intelligence and analytics: from big data to big impact. MIS Q. 36(4), 1165–1188 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Marz, N., Warren, J.: Big Data: Principles and Best Practices of Scalable Realtime Data Systems. Manning Publications Co., New York (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Cambazoglu, B.B., Baeza-Yates, R.: Scalability challenges in web search engines. Synth. Lect. Inf. Concept Retrieval Serv. 7(6), 1–138 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Bao, Z., Zeng, Y., Jagadish, H.V., Ling, T.W.: Exploratory keyword search with interactive input. In: Proceedings of the 2015 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, pp. 871–876. ACM, May 2015Google Scholar
- 16.Lovitskii, V.A., Terziyan, V.: Words’ Coding in TB-Structure. Problemy Bioniki 26, 60–68 (1981). (In Russian)Google Scholar