The Problem of the Optimal Packing of the Equal Circles for Special Non-Euclidean Metric
- 1k Downloads
The optimal packing problem of equal circles (2-D spheres) in a bounded set P in a two-dimensional metric space is considered. The sphere packing problem is to find an arrangement in which the spheres fill as large proportion of the space as possible. In the case where the space is Euclidean this problem is well known, but the case of non-Euclidean metrics is studied much worse. However there are some applied problems, which lead us to use other special non-Euclidean metrics. For instance such statements appear in the logistics when we need to locate a given number of commercial facilities and to maximize the overall service area. Notice, that we consider the optimal packing problem in the case, where P is a multiply-connected domain. The special algorithm based on optical-geometric approach is suggested and implemented. The results of numerical experiment are presented and discussed.
KeywordsOptimal packing problem Equal circles Non-Euclidean space Multiply-connected domain Numerical algorithm Computational experiment
The reported study was particulary funded by RFBR according to the research projects No. 14-07-00222 and No. 16-06-00464.
- 6.Casado, L., Garcia, I., Szabo, P., Csendes, T.: Packing equal circles in a square ii. New results for up to 100 circles using the tamsass-pecs algorithm. In: Giannessi, F., Pardalos, P., Rapcsac, T. (eds.) Optimization Theory: Recent Developments from Matrahaza, vol. 59, pp. 207–224. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2001)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Litvinchev, I., Ozuna, E.: Packing circles in a rectangular container. In: Proceedings of the International Congress on Logistics and Supply Chain, pp. 24–25 (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Litvinchev, I., Ozuna, E.: Integer programming formulations for approximate packing circles in a rectangular container. Math. Probl. Eng. (2014)Google Scholar
- 19.Lempert, A., Kazakov, A.: On mathematical models for optimization problem of logistics infrastructure. Int. J. Artif. Intell. 13(1), 200–210 (2015)Google Scholar
- 29.Specht, E.: Packomania. http://www.packomania.com/. Accessed 28 Oct 2015