Exploring Hierarchical Medical Data stored as Multi-trees in a Relational Database
Modern healthcare and medical research increasingly rely on large amounts of medical data stored in complex databases. In our previous work we have proposed a relational database design pattern and a graphical user interface for structuring hierarchical medical data, with the aim to enable researchers to design their own data structures while still benefiting from the advantages of a relational database. In this paper we will present a software tool designed to assist the user in querying hierarchical medical data, represented as custom designed multi-trees in a relational database.
KeywordsHealthcare information systems Medical databases Data interrogation Design pattern User interface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bertoni, M; Furlini, G; Gozzoli, G; Landini, MP; Magnani, M; Messina, A Montesi, D (2009) - A Case Study on the Analysis of the Data Quality of a Large Medical Database; The 20th International Workshop on Database and Expert Systems Applications, Proceedings pp: 308-312 doi: 10.1109/DEXA.2009.82
- 2.Ayumi Takeda, Yosuke Hatakeyama (2016) - Conversion Method for User Experience Design Information and Software Requirement Specification; Design, User Experience, and Usability: Design Thinking and Methods, 5th International Conference, DUXU 2016, Held as Part of HCI International 2016, Toronto, Canada, Proceedings, Part I, pp: 356-364Google Scholar
- 3.Esther Ge, Richi Nayak, Yue Xu, Yuefeng Li (2008) - A User Driven Data Mining Process Model and Learning System; Database Systems for Advanced Applications, 13th International Conference, DASFAA 2008, New Delhi, India, Proceedings Volume pp: 51-66Google Scholar
- 4.Olah P, Mărușteri M, Muji M, Bacarea V, Haifa B, Petrișor M, Dobru D (2012) - A Database Design Pattern for Structuring Hierarchical Medical Data; Acta Medica Marisiensis 2012; 58(6) pp: 429-432Google Scholar
- 5.Huang, Y; Pollak, I; Do, MN; Bouman, CA (2006) - Fast search for best representations in multitree dictionaries IEEE Transactions on image processing Volume: 15 Issue: 7 pp: 1779-1793Google Scholar