Cloud Security: A Security Management Perspective
- 860 Downloads
This chapter discusses, on strategic level, security considerations related to moving to the cloud. It starts by discussing common cloud threats with brief explanation of each of them. The next section discusses the detailed differences between the cloud and classical data-center in terms of security. Presented in this chapter, the process of prioritizing assets and threats when moving to the cloud. The chapter explains how to evaluate the risks on each asset and how to prioritize the required spending on the information security budget. The chapter concludes with a discussion of general security consideration for the cloud.
KeywordsCloud Computing Virtual Machine Cloud Service Cloud Service Provider Private Cloud
- 1.Nasdaq Server Breach: 3 Expected Findings. Retrieved March 29, 2016, from http://www.darkreading.com/attacks-and-breaches/nasdaq-server-breach-3-expected-findings/d/d-id/1100934?.
- 2.Zeus Bot Found Using Amazons EC2 as C and C Server. Retrieved March 30, 2016, from http://goo.gl/g9PCtQ, a.
- 3.Amazon Purges Account Hijacking Threat from Site. Retrieved March 30, 2016, from http://goo.gl/JJqxtd, b.
- 4.Alani, M. M. (2014). Securing the cloud: Threats, attacks and mitigation techniques. Journal of Advanced Computer Science & Technology, 3(2), 202.Google Scholar
- 5.Alani, M. M. (2016). Elements of cloud computing security: A survey of key practicalities. London, UK: Springer.Google Scholar
- 6.Almorsy, M., Grundy, J., & Ibrahim, A. S. (2011, July). Collaboration-based cloud computing security management framework. In 2011 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD) (pp. 364–371).Google Scholar
- 7.Bilge, L., & Dumitras, T. (2012). Before we knew it: An empirical study of zero-day attacks in the real world. In Proceedings of the 2012 ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (pp. 833–844). ACM.Google Scholar
- 8.CERT Vulnerability Note VU. Vulnerability note vu no 649219.Google Scholar
- 9.Chong, F., Carraro, G., & Wolter, R. (2006). Multi-tenant data architecture (pp. 14–30). Microsoft Corporation, MSDN Library.Google Scholar
- 10.Chow, R., Golle, P., Jakobsson, M., Shi, E., Staddon, J., Masuoka, R., et al. (2009). Controlling data in the cloud: Outsourcing computation without outsourcing control. In Proceedings of the 2009 ACM Workshop on Cloud Computing Security (pp. 85–90). ACM.Google Scholar
- 11.European Network and Information Security Agency. Cloud computing: Benefits, risks and recommendations for information security. ENISA (2009).Google Scholar
- 12.Galante, J., Alpeyev, P., & Yasu, M. (2016). Amazon.com server said to have been used in sony attack. Retrieved September 28, 2016, from, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2011-05-13/sony-network-said-to-have-been-invaded-by-hackers-using-amazon-com-server.
- 13.Gordon, A. (2015). Official (ISC) 2 Guide to the CISSP CBK. CRC Press.Google Scholar
- 14.Grispos, G., Storer, T., & Glisson, W. B. (2013). Calm before the storm: The challenges of cloud. Emerging Digital Forensics Applications for Crime Detection, Prevention, and Security, 4(1), 28–48.Google Scholar
- 15.Hill, R., Hirsch, L., Lake, P., & Moshiri, S. (2012). Guide to cloud computing: Principles and practice. Springer Science & Business Media.Google Scholar
- 16.Hong, J. (2012). The state of attacks. Communications of the ACM, 55(1), 74–81.Google Scholar
- 17.Idziorek, J., Tannian, M., & Jacobson, D. (2012). Attribution of fraudulent resource consumption in the cloud. In 2012 IEEE 5th International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD) (pp. 99–106). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 18.Kazim, M., & Zhu, S. Y. (2015). A survey on top security threats in cloud computing. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications (IJACSA), 6(3), 109–113.Google Scholar
- 19.Khalil, I. M., Khreishah, A., & Azeem, M. (2014). Cloud computing security: A survey. Computers, 3(1), 1–35.Google Scholar
- 20.Nagarajan, A., & Varadharajan, V. (2011). Dynamic trust enhanced security model for trusted platform based services. Future Generation Computer Systems, 27(5), 564–573.Google Scholar
- 21.Nair, S. K., Porwal, S., Dimitrakos, T., Ferrer, A. J., Tordsson, J., Sharif, T., et al. (2010). Towards secure cloud bursting, brokerage and aggregation. In 2010 IEEE 8th European Conference on Web Services (ECOWS), December 2010 (pp. 189–196). doi: 10.1109/ECOWS.2010.33.
- 22.Ramgovind, S., Eloff, M. M.,& Smith, E. (2010). The management of security in cloud computing. In 2010 Information Security for South Africa, August 2010 (pp. 1–7).Google Scholar
- 23.Ray, E., & Schultz, E. (2009). Virtualization security. In Proceedings of the 5th Annual Workshop on Cyber Security and Information Intelligence Research: Cyber Security and Information Intelligence Challenges and Strategies (p. 42). ACM.Google Scholar
- 24.Rittinghouse, J. W., & Ransome, J. F. (2016). Cloud computing: Implementation, Management, and Security. CRC Press.Google Scholar
- 25.Ross, R. S. (2011). Guide for conducting risk assessments (pp. 800–830). NIST Special Publication.Google Scholar
- 26.Shirey, R. (2000). RFC 2828: Internet security glossary. The Internet Society, 13.Google Scholar
- 27.Takabi, H., Joshi, J. B. D., & Ahn, G.-J. (2010). Security and privacy challenges in cloud computing environments. IEEE Security & Privacy, 6, 24–31.Google Scholar
- 28.Top Threats Working Group et al. (2013). The notorious nine: Cloud computing top threats in 2013. Cloud Security Alliance.Google Scholar
- 29.Veriato. (2016). Insider threat spotlight report. Retrieved March 30, 2016, from http://goo.gl/rcGKcQ.
- 30.Zhang, Y., Juels, A., Oprea, A., & Reiter, M. K. (2011). Homealone: Co-residency detection in the cloud via side-channel analysis. In 2011 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (SP) (pp. 313–328). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 31.Zhang, Y., Juels, A., Reiter, M. K., & Ristenpart, T. (2012). Cross-VM side channels and their use to extract private keys. In Proceedings of the 2012 ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (pp. 305–316). ACM.Google Scholar
- 32.Zhou, Y. B., & Feng, D. G. (2005). Side-channel attacks: Ten years after its publication and the impacts on cryptographic module security testing. IACR Cryptology ePrint Archive, 2005, 388.Google Scholar