From Products to Product-Service Systems: Business and Information System Changes
Due to increasing competition in globalized markets companies are forced to search for new business models to get a competitive advantage. One of the trends is to shift from selling products to offering product-service systems. However, such shift requires significant changes in the business processes and related information systems. The paper is based on the analysis and modification of the information management processes related to Product Service Systems (PSS). It investigates the problem of PSS engineering information management in a customer-oriented way. Implementing such an application-system view addresses the problem of designing the customer view on PSS selection, configuration and usage. Though the research results are based on the analysis of one company, the presented work can give significant input to achieve benefits for component manufacturers that tend to become system vendors in general.
KeywordsProduct-service systems Customer-oriented application view Information systems System architect
The research was supported partly by projects funded by grants # 14-07-00378, # 15-07-08092 of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research and Program I.5 of the Russian Academy of Sciences. This work was also partially financially supported by Government of Russian Federation, Grant 074-U01.
- 1.Zhang, M.-R., Yang, C.-C., Ho, S.-Y., Chang, C.H.: A study on enterprise under globalization competition knowledge management and creation overhead construction. J. Interdisciplinary Math. 17(5–6), 423–433 (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.Erdener, K., Hassan, S.: Globalization of Consumer Markets: Structures and Strategies. Routledge (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Ceschin, F.: Product-service system innovation: a promising approach to sustainability. In: Sustainable Product-Service Systems, pp. 17–40. Springer International Publishing (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Smirnov, A., Shilov, N., Kashevnik, A., Jung, T., Sinko, M., Oroszi, A.: Ontology-driven product configuration: industrial use case. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Knowledge Management and Information Sharing (KMIS 2011), pp. 38–47 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.VDMA, German Engineering Federation (2014). http://www.vdma.org/en_GB/
- 8.Smirnov, A., Kashevnik, A., Shilov, N., Oroszi, A., Sinko, M., Krebs, T.: Changing business information systems for innovative configuration processes. In: Matulevičius, R., Maggi, F.M., Küngas, P. (eds.) Joint Proceedings of the BIR 2015 Workshops and Doctoral Consortium Co-located with 14th International Conference on Perspectives in Business Informatics Research (BIR 2015), CEUR, vol. 1420, pp. 62–73 (2015)Google Scholar