Platinum Salt Synthesis as Precursor to Get Heterogeneous Catalyst for Biofuels Production
The trend in the industry is aimed at developing sustainable processes thus the search for alternative fuels such as biofuels can be the best alternative to replace fossil fuels but they are not yet economically competitive. This research shows a chemical route for the synthesis of tetraammineplatinum (II) chloride salt which needs several stages. Each one production step was evaluated through platinum determination by atomic absorption and their products were characterized by XRD, IR and XRF analyses. Taking into account that the overall yield to tetraammineplatinum (II) chloride was of 61% a pilot plant was proposed and evaluated. This salt is used in the preparation of precursors compounds for getting catalysts supported on structured pore size allowing impregnation of catalytic species and promote the transfer of materials triglyceride molecules, as well as the evaluation of the scaling up of this process to industrial scale.
KeywordsChemical synthesis Tetraammineplatinum (II) chloride salt Biofuels Catalyst precursor
Special gratitude to the research group: Energy Recovery of Natural Resources—APRENA, Department of Chemistry from National University of Colombia for the contribution to this research.
- 1.Lizana, D. Antecedentes Generales sobre Biodiesel. In Ecodesarrollo.cl. Available: http://www.ecodesarrollo.cl/descargas/Antecedentes_Biodiesel_D.pdf. Accessed September 5, 2016.
- 3.Helwania, Z., Othman, M., Aziz, N., Fernando, W., & Kim, J. (2009). Technologies for production of biodiesel focusing on green catalytic techniques: A review. Fuel Processing Technology, 90, 1502–1514.Google Scholar
- 4.Sistema de informacion minero Colombiano. In Unidad de planeación minero energética. Available: http://www.upme.gov.co/generadorconsultas/Consulta_Series.aspx?idModulo=4&tipoSerie=118&grupo=361. Accessed September 5, 2016.
- 5.Unidad de Planeacion minero energetica, “SIMCO”, 2005. In Sistema de infromación minero colombiano. Available: http://www.simco.gov.co/Portals/0/estadisticas/Imagen/platino.pdf. Accessed September 5, 2016.
- 7.Rochow, E. G. (1960). Inorganic syntheses (Vol. 6, pp. 250–253). Mc-Graw-Hill book Company.Google Scholar
- 8.ASTM sets the standard for biodiesel. In Standarization News. Available: https://www.astm.org/SNEWS/JF_2009/nelson_jf09.html. Accessed September 5, 2016.