802.11p Wi-Fi Offloading from the Cellular Network to Vehicle-to-Infrastructure Communication Network Using the Software-Defined Network (SDN) Technique
Wi-Fi offloading is a technique for reducing 3G/3.5G/4G cellular network’s traffic load and users’ expense spent in 3G/3.5G/4G cellular network. Nevertheless, it needs to judge whether the offloading from the cellular network to the Wi-Fi network is valuable or not by considering the target Wi-Fi network’s situation. This paper proposed a Software Defined Network (SDN) –based method to pre-decide whether it is valuable to have offloading from the cellular network to the corresponding vehicle’s ahead 802.11p Wi-Fi RSU network or not. By utilizing the centralization architecture and the information of the current contexts, including speed, position and direction, of vehicles, SDN Controller can calculate whether the networking situation of the corresponding vehicle’s ahead 802.11p Wi-Fi RSU is good enough to offload or not before the vehicle enters into the signal coverage. The performance analysis shows that it can let vehicles have better networking situation and quality using our proposed scheme.
KeywordsMobile Node Cellular Network Contention Window Average Throughput Software Define Network
This research was supported by the National Science Council of the Republic of China, Taiwan, under the contract number MOST 105-2221-E-006-063.
- 5.Da Cunha, F.D., et al.: Data communication in VANETs: a survey, challenges and applications, INRIA Saclay, Paris, France, RR-8498, April 2014Google Scholar
- 6.Open Networking Foundation: OpenFlow switch specification. http://archive.openflow.org/documents/openflow-spec-v1.1.0.pdf, Accessed 28 Feb 2011
- 7.Balasubramanian, A., Mahajan, R., Venkataramani, A.: Augmenting mobile 3G using Wi-Fi. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services - MobiSys 2010 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Siris, V.A., Kalyvas, D.: Enhancing mobile data offloading with mobility prediction and prefetching. In: Proceedings of the Seventh ACM International Workshop on Mobility in the Evolving Internet Architecture - MobiArch 2012 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhang, D., Yeo, C.K.: Optimal handing-back point in mobile data offloading. In: 2012 IEEE Vehicular Networking Conference (VNC) (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Cho, J., Nguyen, B., Banerjee, A., Ricci, R., Van der Merwe, J., Webb, K: SMORE: software-defined networking mobile offloading architecture. In: Proceedings of the 4th Workshop on All Things Cellular, pp. 21–26, August 2014Google Scholar
- 11.Amani, M., Mahmoodi, T., Tatipamula, M., Aghvami, H.: SDN-based data offloading for 5G mobile networks. In: Proceedings of the ZTE Communications (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Dupont, B.: Improvements in VANET Simulator in ns-3. Masters project, Department of Computer Science, Old Dominion University, December 2011Google Scholar