Persistence Management in Long-Term Digital Archive
- 616 Downloads
The chapter describes the development of persistence management of various data carriers. The goal is to create an abstract system for monitoring and reporting data carriers, providing information about each carrier, a lot of carriers, or area, independently of the carrier type. Further, the abstract system for monitoring solves the problem of lack of appropriate technical solutions for the monitoring and management of many carriers. The approach allows to determine information from which areas to relocate the packages, where they should be relocated, and which areas should be turned on. The information enables the archive to keep high reliability level, and to save the energy.
KeywordsHard Disk File System Reliability Function Disk Replacement Carrier Type
- 1.Ambekar, R., Gupta, V., Bogy, D.B. Experimental and numerical investigation of dynamic instability in the head disk interface at proximity. Journal of Tribology, 127(3):530–536, 2005.Google Scholar
- 2.Elerath, J.G., Shah, S. Disk drive reliability case study: dependence upon head fly-height and quantity of heads. Reliability and Maintainability, 2003 Annual Symposium-RAMS, pp. 151–156. IEEE, 2004.Google Scholar
- 3.Elerath, J.G., Shah, S. Server class disk drives: how reliable are they? Reliability and Maintainability, 2004 Annual Symposium-RAMS, pp. 608–612. IEEE, 2004.Google Scholar
- 4.Hamerly, G., Elkan, C., et al. Bayesian approaches to failure prediction for disk drives. ICML, pp. 202–209. Citeseer, 2001.Google Scholar
- 5.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_time_between_failures, access 2016-10-17.
- 6.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_time_to_recovery, access 2016-10-17.
- 7.Mao, S., Chen, Y., Liu, F., Chen, X., Xu, B., Lu, P., Patwari, M., Xi, H., Chang, C., Miller, B., et al. Commercial TMR heads for hard disk drives: characterization and extendibility at 300 gbit/in 2. Magnetics, IEEE Transactions on, 42(2):97–102, 2006.Google Scholar
- 8.Murray, J.F., Hughes, G.F., Kreutz-Delgado, K. Hard drive failure prediction using non-parametric statistical methods. Proceedings of ICANN/ICONIP. Citeseer, 2003.Google Scholar
- 9.Schroeder, B., Gibson, G.A. Disk failures in the real world: What does an MTTF of 1,000,000 hours mean to you? FAST, vol. 7, pp. 1–16, 2007.Google Scholar
- 10.Schwarz, T., Baker, M., Bassi, S., Baumgart, B., Flagg, W., van Ingen, C., Joste, K., Manasse, M., Shah, M. Disk failure investigations at the internet archive. Work-in-Progress session, NASA/IEEE Conference on Mass Storage Systems and Technologies (MSST2006), 2006.Google Scholar
- 11.Yang, J., Sun, F. A comprehensive review of hard-disk drive reliability. Reliability and Maintainability Symposium, 1999. Proceedings. Annual, pp. 403–409. IEEE, 1999.Google Scholar