Anisotropic Biaxial Creep of Textured Nb-Modified Zircaloy-4 Tubing
Biaxial creep of Nb-modified Zircaloy-4 (HANA-4) tubing is investigated at varied ratios of hoop and axial stresses at a constant temperature of 500 °C using internal pressurization superimposed with axial load while monitoring the hoop and axial strains using non-contact laser telemetric extensometer and linear variable differential transducer, respectively. Steady-state creep rates along the hoop and axial directions were evaluated in the power-law creep regime from which the creep locus was derived at a constant energy of dissipation. The resulting creep locus was compared with that predicted by the anisotropy parameters, R and P in the Hill’s formulation for generalized stress for anisotropic materials. Crystallographic texture of the tubing was characterized using electron backscatter diffraction technique. Research is supported by NSF grant #DMR0968825.
KeywordsBiaxial creep Zirconium alloy Cladding material Anisotropy
This research was supported by NSF grant #DMR0968825.
- 1.Climate Action & The United Nations Environment Programme (2015), http://www.cop21paris.org/. Last accessed on 13 June 2016
- 2.Nuclear Energy Institute, Nuclear Energy Representation at the UN Climate Conference in Paris (2016), http://www.nei.org/News-Media/Media-Room/Media-Briefings/Nuclear-Energy-Representation-at-the-UN-Climate-Co. Last accessed on 13 June 2016
- 7.K.L. Murty, I. Charit, An Introduction to Nuclear Materials: Fundamentals and Applications (Wiley VCH, 2013)Google Scholar
- 8.P. Frankel, J. Wei, E. Francis, A. Forsey, N. Ni, S. Lozano-Perez, A. Ambard, M. Blat-Yrieix, R. Comstock, L. Hallstadius, Effect of Sn on corrosion mechanisms in advanced Zr-cladding for pressurised water reactors, in Zirconium in the Nuclear Industry, vol. 17, ASTM International, 2015Google Scholar
- 13.E. Tenckhoff, Deformation Mechanisms, Texture, and Anisotropy in Zirconium and Zircaloy (ASTM International, 1988)Google Scholar
- 16.A. Donaldson, R. Horwood, T. Healey, Biaxial Creep Deformation of Zircaloy-4 in the High Alpha Phase Temperature Range (1983), pp. 103–118Google Scholar
- 19.K. Murty, Zircaloy life prediction and new generation zircaloys for LWRs. Trans Indian Inst Met 50, 533–562 (1997)Google Scholar
- 24.R. Hill, A Theory of the Yielding and Plastic Flow of Anisotropic Metals, vol. 193 (1948), pp. 281–297Google Scholar
- 25.I. Charit, J. Yan, B. Marple, K. Murty, Effects of alloying and thermal treatment on creep anisotropy of zircaloys: application to in-reactor performance. Mater. Sci. Technol. AIST 1, 4 (2005)Google Scholar