Playful and Gameful Learning in a Hybrid Space
There is a need to harness the potential of a hybrid space in teaching and learning as digital and physical experiences are merging and it is essential that the experience empowers the minds and practices, bridges formal and informal contexts and deepens the learning process. This paper elaborates on the playful nature of the use of games and gamification in creating contexts to a pervasive learning process including the Horizon 2020 Beaconing project as an example.
KeywordsSerious games Gamification Playful learning Pervasive learning
This work has been co-funded by the EU under the H2020 Beaconing project, Grant Agreement nr. 687676.
- 2.Arnab, S., Petridis, P., Dunwell, I., de Freitas, S.: Enhancing learning in distributed virtual worlds through touch: a browser-based architecture for haptic interaction. In: Ma, M., Oikonomou, A., Jain, L.C. (eds.) Serious Games and Edutainment Applications, pp. 149–167. Springer, London (2011). ISBN: 978-1-4471-2160-2Google Scholar
- 3.E-Learning Guild, Seamless Learning: Forget MOOCs, Mobile Learning, and Ubiquitous Access. Learning Solutions Magazine (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Broadhead, P., Howard, J., Wood, E. (eds.): Play and Learning in the Early Years: From Research to Practice. Sage, Thousand Oaks (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Upton, B.: The Aesthetic of Play. MIT Press, Cambridge (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.McGonigal, J.: Reality Is Broken: Why Games Make us Better and How They Can Change the World. Jonathan Cape, London (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Arnab, S., Brown, K., Clarke, S., Dunwell, I., Lim, T., Suttie, N., Louchart, S., Hendrix, M., de Freitas, S.: The development approach of a pedagogically-driven serious game to support relationship and sex education (RSE) within a classroom setting. Comput. Educ. 69, 15–30 (2013). ElsevierCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Deterding, S., Khaled, R., Nacke, L., Dixon, D.: Gamification: toward a definition. Presented at the Computer Human Interaction, CHI 2011, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Hamari, J., Koivisto, J., Sarsa, H.: Does gamification work? – A literature review of empirical studies on gamification. In: Proceedings of the 47th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Hawaii, USA (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Jantke, K.P., Spundflasch, S.: Understanding pervasive games for purposes of learning. In: 5th International Conference on Computer Supported Education, CSEDU 2013, pp. 696–701 (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Schmidt, A.: Context-aware computing: context-awareness, context-aware user interfaces, and implicit interaction. In: Soegaard, M., Dam, R.F. (eds.) The Encyclopedia of Human-Computer Interaction, 2nd edn. The Interaction Design Foundation, Aarhus (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.Savin-Baden, M.: Facilitating Problem-Based Learning. OUP, Buckingham (2003)Google Scholar