Spectrum Shared p-Cycle Design in Elastic Optical Networks with/without Spectrum Conversion Capabilities
This paper studies spectrum allocation of Spectrum Shared pre-configured Cycle (SS-p-cycle) design in Elastic Optical Networks (EONs) with and without spectrum conversion capabilities. SS-p-Cycle design enhances spectrum sharing among multiple p-cycles that have common link(s). We develop Integer Linear Programming (ILP) models to minimize both spare capacity and the maximum number of spectrum usage for each of the two spectrum conversion cases. Simulation results indicate that the SS-p-cycle design requires the same maximum number of spectrum usage in the two cases while SS-p-cycle with spectrum conversion earns higher spectrum efficiency. Moreover, compared with traditional spectrum no-shared p-cycle design, SS-p-cycle design acquires more efficient spectrum allocation in both cases.
KeywordsSpectrum sharing P-cycle Elastic optical networks Spectrum conversion
This work was partially supported by UAPV/LIA (France).
- 1.M. Jinno, H. Takara, B. Kozicki, Y. Tsukishima, Y. Sone and S. Matsuoka, “Spectrum-efficient and scalable elastic optical path network: architecture, benefits, and enabling technologies,” in IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 66–73, Nov. (2009). doi: 10.1109/MCOM.2009.5307468
- 3.N. Amaya, G. Zervas and D. Simeonidou, “Introducing node architecture flexibility for elastic optical networks,” in IEEE/OSA J. Opt. Commun. Netw., vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 593–608, Jun. (2013). doi: 10.1364/JOCN.5.000593
- 4.W. D. Grover and D. Stamatelakis, “Cycle-oriented distributed preconfiguration: ring-like speed with mesh-like capacity for self-planning network restoration,” IEEE Proc. Conf. Commun., vol. 1, pp. 537–543, Atlanta,(1998). doi: 10.1109/ICC.1998.682929
- 5.W. Zhong and Z. Zhang, “Design of survivable WDM networks with shared-P-cycles,” in Proc. Opt. Netw. Des. Model. Conf., pp. 554–557, Los Angeles (2004).Google Scholar
- 6.F. Ji, X. Chen, W. Lu, J. J. P. C. Rodrigues and Z. Zhu, “Dynamic p-Cycle Protection in Spectrum-Sliced Elastic Optical Networks,” in J. Lightw. Technol., vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 1190–1199, Mar. (2014). doi: 10.1109/JLT.2014.2300337
- 7.X. Chen, S. Zhu, L. Jiang and Z. Zhu, “On Spectrum Efficient Failure-Independent Path Protection p-Cycle Design in Elastic Optical Networks,” in J. Lightw. Technol., vol. 33, no. 17, pp. 3719–3729, Sep. (2015). doi: 10.1109/JLT.2015.2456052
- 8.J. Wu and Y. Liu and C. Yu and Y. Wu, “Survivable routing and spectrum allocation algorithm based on p-cycle protection in elastic optical networks,” in J. Light Electron Opt., vol 125, no. 16, pp. 4446–4451, Aug. (2014). doi: 10.1016/j.ijleo.2014.02.030
- 9.Y. Wei, K. Xu, Y. Jiang, H. Zhao, G. Shen,“Optimal design for p-Cycle-protected elastic optical networks” Photon. Netw. Commun., vol. 29, pp. 257–268 (2015).Google Scholar
- 10.Z. Zhang, L. Zhu, Z. Li, A. Xu, “Shared-p-cycles method for design of survivable WDM networks” in Frontiers of Electrical and Electronic Engineering in China, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 362–370 (2009). doi= 10.1007/s11460-009-0057-3
- 11.M. Ju and F. Zhou and S. Xiao and Z. Zhu, “Power-Efficient Protection with Directed p-Cycles for Asymmetric Traffic in Elastic Optical Networks” in J. Lightw. Technol., Jul. (2016). doi= 10.1109/JLT.2016.2590578