Securing the Internet of Things
Establishing mechanisms to determine a firm’s direction and stance for both security and privacy risk/leadership to inform its IoT deployment and use.
Making sure that a robust risk assessment and security framework is held up against proposed IoT designs/deployments.
Developing a clear position on whether to use open versus closed IoT systems , whilst recognising that the purpose of many IoT systems will expand and evolve substantially over time.
In this chapter, the means for addressing these three challenges are combined into a proposed overall decision-making framework for developing an IoT security strategy.
KeywordsInternet of Things IoT Wearable Mobile Mesh Privacy Industrial control ICS Industrial internet Cloud Agency Big data Security by design Strategy Device Embedded system
The author wishes to thank Professor Keith Mayes of Royal Holloway, University of London, as well as David Moschella and Adrian Seccombe of the Leading Edge Forum for their help in developing some of these ideas.
- 1.Cisco Systems, Inc, Available: http://ioeassessment.cisco.com/learn/ioe-faq, 28 September 2015, [Online], [Accessed 28 September 2015].
- 2.ITU-T, Available: http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-Y.2060-201206-I, 15 June 2012, [Online], [Accessed 28 September 2015].
- 3.Gartner, Available: http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2905717, [Online].
- 4.Cisco Internet Business Solutions Group (IBSG), D Evans, “The Internet of Things—How the Next Evolution of the Internet Is Changing Everything”, Cisco IBSG, 2011.Google Scholar
- 5.C. Miller and C. Valadek, “Remote Exploitation of an Unaltered Passenger Vehicle”, 10 8 2015, Available: www.illmatics.com/Remote%20Car%20Hacking.pdf, [Online], [Accessed 17 October 2015].
- 6.OWASP, “OWASP Internet of Things Project”, 2014, [Online], Available: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Internet_of_Things_Project, [Accessed 30 4 2016].
- 7.S. Peisert, J. Margulies, E. Byres, P. Dorey, D. Peterson and Z. Tudor, “Control Systems Security from the Front Lines”, Security & Privacy, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 55–58, 2014.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Ersue, D. Romascanu and J. Schoenwaelder, “Management of Networks with Constrained Devices:”, May 2015, [Online], Available: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7547, [Accessed 29 September 2015].
- 9.E. Dockterman, “Robot Kills Man at Volkswagen Plant,” Time Life, 1 July 2015, [Online], Available: http://time.com/3944181/robot-kills-man-volkswagen-plant/, [Accessed 17 October 2015].
- 10.J. Edwards, “Ford Exec: ‘We Know Everyone Who Breaks The Law’ Thanks To Our GPS In Your Car”, Business Insider, 8 January 2014.Google Scholar
- 11.Auto Alliance & Global Automakers, “Consumer Privacy Protection Principles for Vehicle Technologies and Services”, 12 November 2014, [Online], Available: https://www.globalautomakers.org/system/files/document/attachments/Global%27s%20and%20the%20Alliance%27s%20FTC%20Letter%20Committment%20and%20Privacy%20Principles%20%282%29.pdf, [Accessed 29 September 2015].
- 12.T. Danielson, “Samsung explains why its SmartTV records private conversations (+video)”, The Christian Science Monitor, 9 February 2015.Google Scholar
- 13.Cloud Security Alliance, “Security Guidance for Early Adopters of the Internet of Things (IoT)”, April 2015, [Online], Available: https://downloads.cloudsecurityalliance.org/whitepapers/Security_Guidance_for_Early_Adopters_of_the_Internet_of_Things.pdf, [Accessed 29 September 2015].
- 14.F. daCosta and B. Henderson, Rethinking the Internet of Things: A Scalable Approach to Connecting Everything, Apress, 2014.Google Scholar
- 15.F. Swiderski and W. Snyder, Threat Modelling, Redmond: Microsoft Professional, 2004.Google Scholar
- 16.GSM Association, “GSMA IOT Guidelines Complete Document Set”, February 2016, [Online], Available: http://www.gsma.com/connectedliving/gsma-iot-security-guidelines-complete-document-set/.
- 17.Trusted Computing Group, “Guidance for Security IoT Using TCG Technology”, 14 9 2015, [Online], Available: http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/wp-content/uploads/TCG_Guidance_for_Securing_IoT_1_0r21-1.pdf, [Accessed 30 4 2016].
- 18.J. Voss, “Primitives and Elements of Internet of Things (IoT) Trustworthiness”, February 2016, [Online], Available: http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts/nistir-8063/nistir_8063_draft.pdf, [Accessed 30 4 2016].
- 19.K. Finley, “Nest Hub Shutdown”, Wired.com, 4 5 2016, [Online], Available: http://www.wired.com/2016/04/nests-hub-shutdown-proves-youre-crazy-buy-internet-things/, [Accessed 30 4 2016].
- 20.Hewlett Packard Enterprise, “Internet of Things Research Study 2015”, [Online], Available: http://www8.hp.com/h20195/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA5-4759ENW.pdf [Accessed 30 4 2016]