Smart Card Technology Trends
This chapter examines the historical use of technology in smart cards and the trends in the future. It considers the options that are available, the choices that must be made with a smart card scheme, the issues that affect the design of the card and its applications. The influence of consumer demand is discussed and the drivers that will define the use smart card technology in the future.
KeywordsSilicon Technology Trends Memory Microcontroller
- 1.A set of specifications are publicly available http://csrc.nist.gov/piv-project, Cited 5 May 2016.
- 2.Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik, “Security IC Platform Protection Profile with Augmentation Packages” Certificate BSI-PP-0084-2014.Google Scholar
- 3.CAC info http://www.cac.mil/ CAC Case study whitepaper by Smart Card Alliance 2001: http://www.smartcardalliance.org/resources/lib/DoD_CAC_Profile.pdf Cited 21.9.2015, US official information https://www.cac.mil/Home.do
- 4.Copies of the EMV specifications https://www.emvco.com/specifications.aspx, Cited 05 May 2015.
- 5.Council Regulation (EC) No 2252/2004 of 13 December 2004, http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy/index_en.htm, Cited 5 May 2016.
- 6.European Union Directive establishing the framework for electronic signatures: “ Directive 1999/93/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 December 1999 on a Community framework for electronic signatures. and ”Commission Decision 2003/511/EC adopting three CEN Workshop Agreements as technical standards presumed to be in accordance with the DirectiveGoogle Scholar
- 8.Root of trust white paper June 2012 SANS Institute, http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/resources/implementing_hardware_roots_of_trust, Cited 5 May 2016.
- 9.EU Tachograph website with specifications , Cited 5 May 2015.Google Scholar
- 10.Further information on NFC can be found on the NFC Forum website via www.nfc-forum.org, Cited 5 May 2016.
- 11.ISO/IEC 24727-1:2007 PDF version (en) can be found on the ISO website www.iso.org, Cited 5 May 2016.
- 12.Mobile Operators Association figures: http://www.mobilemastinfo.com/stats-and-facts/, Cited 18 Sep 2015.
- 13.Moore’s Law is the empirical observation made in 1965 that the number of transistors on an integrated circuit for minimum component cost doubles every 18 months. It is attributed to Gordon E. Moore a co-founder of Intel.Google Scholar
- 14.Standardisation process information via http://www.etsi.org/, Cited 18 Sep 2015.
- 15.The Common Criteria Organisation, “Common Criteria for Information Technology Security Evaluation V3.1”, 2012. Source: http://www.commoncriteriaportal.org/cc/, Cited 5 May 2016.
- 16.National Institute of Standards and Technology http://csrc.ncsl.nist.gov/ has published FIPS 140-1 http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/standards.html “Security Requirements for Cryptographic Modules” concerns physical security of smart card ICs, Cited 5 May 2016.
- 17.ICAO 9303 passport specifications, http://www.icao.int/Security/mrtd/Pages/Document9303.aspx, Cited 5 May 2016.
- 18.The JavaCard specification can be licensed from Oracle Inc, http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/embedded/javacard/downloads/default-1970005.html and its implementation is managed by Global Platform http://globalplatform.org/, cited 21 Sept 2015.
- 19.The specification in ten parts is available for download from http://www.itso.org.uk/the-specification/, Cited 5 May 2016.
- 20.The Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001 “USA PATRIOT Act”, http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d107:HR03162:%7CTOM:/bss/d107query.html%7C, Cited 5 May 2016.
- 21.FFA UK Annual Review 2015 http://www.financialfraudaction.org, Sept 2015, Cited 5 May 2016.
- 22.GMSA subscriber growth, http://www.gsma.com/newsroom/press-release/one-billion-new-unique-mobile-subscribers-by-2020-gsma/, Cited 18 Sep 2015
- 23.EN 15320 Identification Card Systems - Surface Transport Applications - Interoperable Public Transport Application (IOPTA), http://www.cenorm.be/CENORM/BusinessDomains/ Cited 2 Apr 2006.
- 24.Secure Flash memory, https://silicontrust.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/secure-flash-for-high-security-smart-cards/, Cited 5 May 2016.
- 25.Smart card statistics, http://www.eurosmart.com/publications, Cited 5 May 2016.
- 26.Megamos crypto attack, http://www.computerworld.com/article/2971826/cybercrime-hacking/hack-to-steal-cars-with-keyless-ignition-volkswagen-spent-2-years-hiding-flaw.html, Cited 5 May 2016.
- 27.Smart card statistics derived from Eurosmart data, http://www.eurosmart.com, Cited 5 May 2016.