Creating Your Own Budget-Impact Analyses Today and Tomorrow
This chapter summarizes the importance of budget-impact analysis as a tool to assess the impact on population health and payer budgets of new health care interventions. We discuss the complementary nature of budget-impact analysis and cost-effectiveness analysis and provide a reminder about differences in purpose, structure, assumptions, and inputs between these two types of analysis. We also provide a brief overview of this book’s recommendations for budget-impact analysis, both in terms of essential components and calculations as well as strategies to design analyses that are credible and useful to budget holders. Example budget-impact analyses are presented to demonstrate how components have been added to these analyses to make them more credible and useful for the budget holder. Finally, areas are suggested where future development in budget-impact analysis methods is needed.
KeywordsBudget-impact analysis Key components Methods development
- Agency for Health Technology Assessment (AHTA). Guidelines for conducting health technology assessment (HTA). Version 2.1. Warsaw: AHTA; 2009.Google Scholar
- Mauskopf J, Chirila C, Birt J, Boye KS, Bowman L. Drug reimbursement recommendations by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence: have they impacted the National Health Service budget? Health Policy. 2013;110(1):49–59. doi: 10.1016/j.healthpol.2013.01.017.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). Guide to the methods of technology appraisal 2013. 2013. http://nice.org.uk/process/pmg9. Accessed 5 Aug 2016.
- Patented Medicine Prices Review Board. Budget-impact analysis guidelines: guidelines for conducting pharmaceutical budget-impact analyses for submission to public drug plans in Canada. 2007.Google Scholar
- Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee (PBAC). Guidelines for preparing submissions to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee. Version 4.5. 2015. http://www.pbac.pbs.gov.au/content/information/printable-files/pbacg-book.pdf. Accessed 11 Sept 2015.
- WellPoint. Health technology assessment guidelines: drug submission guidelines for new products, new indications, and new formulations. 2008. http://www.pharmamedtechbi.com/~/media/Images/Publications/Archive/The Pink Sheet/70/043/00700430001/wellpoint_formulary_guidelines.pdf . Accessed 4 Apr 2016.