ZMP Features for Touch Driven Robot Control via Tactile Servo
In most robotic applications, tactile sensors are modeled as rigid matrices of adjacent pressure sensing elements so that the geometric deformations of their surfaces are neglected. This paper proposes to define these deformations as rotational and translational compliances that are later used as new tactile features for tactile servoing tasks. In fact, a novel two-layered inverse tactile Jacobian matrix is developed in order to map errors of these features into cartesian errors required for touch-driven exploration and manipulation robotic tasks. The performance of this new tactile servoing approach is demonstrated in several real experiments with a 6\(\,\times \,\)14 tactile array mounted on a 7-dof robotic manipulator.
KeywordsCartesian Space Robot Operating System Sensor Frame Tactile Image Tactile Array
The authors are very thankful to Vincent Hayward for discussion on tactile perception, Guillaume Walck for helping with the Shadow Hand, Vincent Padois for providing the Kuka LWR arm, and Antoine Hoarau for the help on working with the robot.
- 4.Chen, N., Zhang, H., Rink, R.: Edge tracking using tactile servo. In: Proceedings of 1995 IEEE RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems 1995, Human Robot Interaction and Cooperative Robots, vol. 2, pp. 84–89. IEEE (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Li, Q., Schürmann, C., Haschke, R., Ritter, H.: A control framework for tactile servoing. In: Robotics: Science and Systems (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Prats, M., del Pobil, A.P., Sanz, P.J.: Robot Physical Interaction Through the Combination of Vision, Tactile and Force Feedback. STAR, vol. 84, p. 177. Springer, Heidelberg (2013). Siciliano, B., Khatib, O. (eds.)Google Scholar
- 8.Ho, V.A., Nagatani, T., Noda, A., Hirai, S.: What can be inferred from a tactile arrayed sensor in autonomous in-hand manipulation? In: 2012 IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (CASE), pp. 461–468, August 2012Google Scholar
- 9.Kappasov, Z.: Video showing control of force. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK7x51U7CiA. Accessed 7 Apr 2016
- 10.Kappassov, Z.: Video showing the evaluation of the proposed ZMP feature. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vWIColizfo. Accessed 7 Apr 2016