Leadership and Management
Supervisor leadership behaviours that facilitate good practice were identified by research respondents as inspirational and sustaining, especially leadership behaviours that promoted social justice, and hence social work, values. As managers, effective supervisors create and maintain efficient operating systems, striving to balance the five dimensions of supervision in a complex environment. The management function within supervision includes the management of this sense of balance, facilitated by keeping the child in mind and at the heart of supervisory reflection.
KeywordsLeadership in child protection Leading child protection practice Governance Management
- Bargal, D. (2000). The manager as leader. In R. J. Patti (Ed.), The handbook of social welfare management. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Gillingham, P. (2009). The use of assessment tools in child protection: An ethnomethodological study (Unpublished doctoral thesis). Australia: University of Melbourne.Google Scholar
- Hafford-Letchfield, T. (2010). Social care management, strategy and business planning. London and Philadelphia: Jessica Kingsley Publisher.Google Scholar
- Hughes, M., & Wearing, M. (2013). Organisations and management in social work (2nd ed.). Los Angeles, CA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- McDonald, C., Craik, C., Hawkins, L., & Williams, J. (2011). Professional practice in human service organisations. Allen and Unwin: NSW AustraliaGoogle Scholar
- Ozanne, E., & Rose, D. (2013). The organisational context of social work practice. South Yarra, Australia: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Rock, D. (2009). Managing with the brain in mind. Strategy + Business, 56. http://www.strategy-business.com/article/09306. Accessed 4 April 2016.
- Taylor, F. (1947). The principles of scientific management. New York, NY: Harper and Row.Google Scholar
- ‘t Hart, P., & Uhr, J. (Eds.). (2008). Public leadership perspectives and practices. Canberra, Australia: ANU E Press. http://press.anu.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/whole_book47.pdf. Accessed 4 April 2016.
- Zwanenberg, Z. (Ed.). (2010). Leadership in social care. Research Highlights 51. London and Philadelphia: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.Google Scholar