An Experimental Evaluation of IoT Technologies in Precision Viticulture
There is no doubt that the introduction of IoT-assisted applications will become an invaluable asset to optimize farm performance. Through the data collected by sensors deployed in the fields together with other sources of information and facilities, farmers will have at their disposal a set of tools allowing them to make informed decisions on the day-to-day operation. Since 2005, a multidisciplinary team of researchers from the Albacete Research Institute of Informatics and the School of Agronomical Engineers of the University of Castilla La Mancha (UCLM) has been exploring the use of information and communication technologies in the agricultural industry. This paper reports on the main findings acquired through the deployment and experimental evaluation of IoT technologies in a vineyard. Our results also provide insight into future directions on the use of IoT technologies in precision viticulture.
KeywordsIOT Wireless sensor networks Web-based applications Precision agriculture
This work has been partially sponsored by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness under grant number TIN2015-66972-C5-2-R; and by the Regional Council of Castilla-La Mancha, under grant number POII11-0334-9283.
- 2.Olivares Montes, T., Orozco Barbosa, L., López Camacho, V., Pedrón, P.: WISEVINE: wireless sensor network applied to vineyards. In: Proceedings of ACM International Workshop on Real-World Wireless Sensor Networks (ACM REALWSN06), Uppsala, June 2006Google Scholar
- 4.Pérez Verdú, J.L., Feliu Jofre, A.: Manual of Techniques for Sustainable Mountain Viticulture LIFE-PRIORAT Project. Fundació Fòrum Ambienta (2007). www.forumambiental.com
- 8.An, W., Ci, S., Luo, H., Wu, D., Adamchuk, V., Sharif, H., Wang, X., Tang, H.: Effective sensor deployment based on field information coverage in precision agriculture. Wirel. Commun. Mob. Comput. 15, 1606–1620 (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Pande, M., Choudhari, N.K., Pathak, S.: Energy efficient hybrid architecture and positioning of sensors in WSN for precision agriculture. In: Proceedings of the CUBE International Information Technology Conference (CUBE 2012), pp. 198–203. ACM, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 11.Shepard, D.: A two-dimensional interpolation function for irregularly-spaced data. In: Proceedings of the 1968 ACM National Conference, pp. 517–524Google Scholar