Development of a Classification Server to Support Metadata Harmonization in a Long Term Preservation System
In this paper we will describe the implementation of a Classification Server to assist with metadata harmonization when implementing a long term Preservation System of digital objects. After a short introduction to classifications and knowledge organization we will set up the requirements of the system to be implemented. We will describe several SKOS (Simple Knowledge Organization System) management tools that we have examined, including Skosmos, the solution we have selected for our internal use. Skosmos is an open source, web-based SKOS browser based on Jena Fuseki SPARQL server. We will also discuss some crucial steps that occurred during the installation of the selected tools, and finally we will show potential problems with the classifications to be used, as well as possible solutions.
KeywordsLong term preservation Metadata Classification SKOS Skosmos Jena Fuseki
We would like to express our special thanks to Osma Suominen, the main developer of Skosmos at the National Library of Finland, who were very helpful by answering any Skosmos or Jena Fuseki related question.
- 1.Digital Preservation Coalition: Introduction: Definitions and Concepts. Digital Preservation Handbook. York (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Day, M.: The Long-Term Preservation of Web Content. Web Archiving, pp. 177–199. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.W3C Working Group: SKOS Simple Knowledge Organization System Primer, 18 August 2009. https://www.w3.org/TR/skos-primer/
- 4.W3C Semantic Web: Introduction to SKOS. https://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/intro
- 5.Zeng, M.L., Chan, L.M.: Semantic interoperability. In: Encyclopedia of Library and Information Sciences, 4th edn., p. 8 (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.DuCharme, B.: Learning SPARQL: Querying and Updating with SPARQL 1.1., 2nd edn. O’Reilly Media, Sebastopol (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Suominen, O., Ylikotila, H., Pessala, S., Lappalainen, M., Frosterus, M., Tuominen, J., Baker, T., Caracciolo, C., Retterath, A.: Publishing SKOS vocabularies with Skosmos. Manuscript submitted for review (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Suominen, O.: Publishing SKOS concept schemes with Skosmos. AIMS Webinar, 6 April 2016, Slide 25 (2016)Google Scholar