An Industrial Case Study on Measuring the Quality of the Requirements Scoping Process
Decision making and requirements scoping occupy central roles in helping to develop products that are demanded by the customers and ensuring company strategies are accurately realized in product scope. Many companies experience continuous and frequent scope changes and fluctuations but struggle to measure the phenomena and correlate the measurement to the quality of the requirements process. We present the results from an exploratory interview study among 22 participants working with requirements management processes at a large company that develops embedded systems for a global market. Our respondents shared their opinions about the current set of requirements management process metrics as well as what additional metrics they envisioned as useful. We present a set of metrics that describe the quality of the requirements scoping process. The findings provide practical insights that can be used as input when introducing new measurement programs for requirements management and decision making.
KeywordsRequirements engineering Software metrics Process improvement
This work is supported by the IKNOWDM project from the Knowledge Foundation in Sweden (20150033).
- 3.Feyh, M., Petersen, K.: Lean software development measures and indicators - a systematic mapping study. In: Fitzgerald, B., Conboy, Kieran, Power, K., Valerdi, R., Morgan, L., Stol, K.-J. (eds.) LESS 2013. LNBIP, vol. 167, pp. 32–47. Springer, Heidelberg (2013). doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-44930-7_3 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Hood, C., Wiedemann, S., Fichtinger, S., Pautz, U.: Requirements Management: The Interface Between Requirements Development and All Other Systems Engineering Processes. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Mujtaba, S., Feldt, R., Petersen, K.: Waste and lead time reduction in a software product customization process with value stream maps. In: 21st Australian Software Engineering Conference (ASWEC), pp. 139–148 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.The interview instrument can be accessed at http://serg.cs.lth.se/fileadmin/serg/InterviewQuestions.pdf
- 13.Wnuk, K., Gorschek, T., Callele, D., Karlsson, E.-A., Regnell, B., Ahlin, E.: Supporting scope tracking and visualization for very large-scale requirements engineering-utilizing FSC+, decision patterns, and atomic decision visualizations. IEEE Trans. Softw. Eng. 42, 47–74 (2016)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Wnuk, K., Regnell, B., Karlsson, L.: What happened to our features? Visualization and understanding of scope change dynamics in a large-scale industrial setting. In: 17th IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference, RE 2009, pp. 89–98 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Wnuk, K., Pfahl, D., Callele, D., Karlsson, E.A.: How can open source software development help requirements management gain the potential of open innovation: an exploratory study. In: ACM-IEEE International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement (ESEM), pp. 271–279 (2012)Google Scholar