Development and Implementation of Orthogonal Planes Images Method for Calibration of Tool Centre Point
- 1.7k Downloads
This paper presents a system for automated calibration of the robot’s tool centre point (TCP). The main aim is to present innovative solutions and procedures developed and implemented in order to overcome theoretical and practical challenges encountered during realization of the calibration unit. The idea to analyse images from two orthogonal planes in order to identify TCP serves as a foundation for all features and procedures and offers a number of advantages to the system. Using a camera system, the TCP’s calibration can be performed in very short time, which enables frequent checks to ensure production quality without losing valuable time resources. The calibration unit and all procedures are designed and developed as a self-sufficient fully automated system that does not require any additional components or operator intervention in normal operation. This makes the system suitable for integration in highly automated production facilities such as factories of the future.
KeywordsRobot TCP calibration Camera system Industrial application
During this work, tests were made with the calibration unit designed and built by ADAT s.r.l. The solution is patent pending N.: TV2014A000165, as listed in .
- 1.Cheng, F.S.: Calibration of robot reference frames for enhanced robot positioning accuracy. In: Robot Manipulators, INTECH 2008, Chap. 5, Sect. 1, Rijeka, Croatia, pp. 95–112 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.BullsEye Application Manual, Revision G. ABB Robotics, Västerås, Sweden (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Hallenberg, J.: Robot tool center point calibration using computer vision. M.Sc. thesis, Department of Electrical Engineering, Linköping University, Linköping, Sweden (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Conrad, K.L., Shiakolas, P.S., Yih. T.C.: Robotic calibration issues: accuracy, repeatability and calibration. In: Proceedings of the 8th Mediterranean Conference on Control & Automation (MED 2000), Rio, Patras, Greece, 17–19 July 2000Google Scholar
- 6.Ongaro, C.: Dispositivo e metodo di calibrazione di una torcia di saldatura robotizzata, Pat. pend. N.: TV2014A000165, 25 November 2014Google Scholar