Immersive Digital Heritage Experience with the Use of Interactive Technology
This paper presents alternative methodologies for disseminating information that derives from a holistic documentation of a monument with the use of interactive technologies. These technologies are incorporated within an interactive book, while the book’s context is about the unique monument Panagia of Asinou church in Nicosia (Cyprus). The prototype of the interactive book has been developed at a previous stage as an experimental educational tool. In this phase the prototype will be further developed in order to incorporate all the multimedia data collected about the monument and demonstrate them in a user-friendly way. Moreover, it will be adequately evaluated by specific target groups of users and experts. The goal is to be installed at the church of Asinou and provide the visitors of the church with an amazing immersive experience.
KeywordsInteractive technology Interactive books Motion sensor Kinect Projection Immersive experience Education
1. ITN-DCH (http://www.itn-dch.eu/) project has received funding from the European Union’s Seventh Framework program for research, technological development and demonstration under GA no 608013.
2. INCEPTION (http://www.inception-project.eu/) has received funding from the EU’s H2020 Reflective framework programme for research and innovation under GA no 665220.
3. Europeana Space (http://www.europeana-space.eu/) has received funding from the European Union’s ICT Policy Support Program as part of the Competitiveness and Innovation Framework Program, under GA no 621037.
4. 4DCH (http://www.4d-ch-world.eu/) project has received funding from the European Union’s Seventh Framework program for research, technological development and demonstration.
5. Lo-Cloud (http://www.locloud.eu/) is co-funded under the CIP ICT-PSP program.
6. ViMM (http://www.vi-mm.eu/) has received funding from the EU’s H2020 framework programme for support and coordination actions under GA no 727107.
- 1.Adabala, N., Datha, N., Joy, J., Kulkarni, C., Manchepalli, A., Sankar, A., Walton, R.: An interactive multimedia framework for digital heritage narratives. In: ACM MM 2010, pp. 1445–1448 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.VVVV Group: Vvvv - a Multipurpose Toolkit. http://vvvv.org/
- 4.Node15: NODE15 Forum for Digital Arts April 27–May 3 2015 Frankfurt. http://node15.vvvv.org/
- 5.Moto, T.: gesture-icons-004 (2011). https://www.graffletopia.com/stencils/791
- 6.Abdul Aziz, N.A., Batmaz, F., Stone, R., Chung, P.W.H.: Selection of touch gestures for children’s applications (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Bowman, D.A., Kruijff, E., Laviola, J.J., Poupyrev, I.: Evaluation of 3D User Interfaces (2004)Google Scholar