Parian Marble: A Virtual Multimodal Museum Project
- 1.4k Downloads
This case study is about the cultural promotion and exploitation of the ancient quarries of Paros island in Greece, in a multilayered project which uses modern technologies attempting to “return” all the marble works that have been created from 7th to 5th century BC to their place of origin. Taking total advantage of the emerging technological affordances of 3-dimensional documentation of Cultural Heritage assets and Virtual and Augmented Reality, this case study’s project is aiming at a curatorial concept of breaking the restrictions of geography and time and raising awareness by engaging stakeholders, policy makers and citizens of Europe in digitalization of heritage through virtual environments. Virtual Cultural Heritage along with Virtual Museums, being the current research advancement in the respective domain, propose the framework where broaden dialogues and intensified discussions among the people involved in the documentation of the past will take place, as well as fully contextualized educational practices and design studies for the development of new immersive experiences and innovative applications.
KeywordsVirtual Museum Digital Heritage Virtual reality 3D objects
1. ITN-DCH (http://www.itn-dch.eu/) project has received funding from the European Union’s Seventh Framework program for research, technological development and demonstration under GA no 608013.
2. INCEPTION (http://www.inception-project.eu/) has received funding from the EU’s H2020 Reflective framework programme for research and innovation under GA no 665220.
3. Europeana Space (http://www.europeana-space.eu/) has received funding from the European Union’s ICT Policy Support Program as part of the Competitiveness and Innovation Framework Program, under GA no 621037.
4. 4DCH (http://www.4d-ch-world.eu/) project has received funding from the European Union’s Seventh Framework program for research, technological development and demonstration under GA no 324523.
5. Lo-Cloud (http://www.locloud.eu/) is co-funded under the CIP ICT-PSP program under GA no 325099.
6. ViMM (http://www.vi-mm.eu/) has received funding from the EU’s H2020 framework programme for support and coordination actions under GA no 727107.
- 1.Schilardi, D.U., Katsonopoulou, D., Katsarou, S., Brenner, C.: Paria Lithos Parian Quarries, Marble and Workshops of Sculpture (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Fischer, S.: Museums in motion: an introduction to the history and functions of museums. Mus. Hist. J. (2013) (by E.P. Alexander and M. Alexander)Google Scholar