An Overview+Detail Surveillance Video Player: Information-Based Adaptive Fast-Forward
In this paper, we propose an adaptive fast playback framework where multi-features are used to support arbitrary frame-rate video playback. We introduce a Jenson noise-based difference (JSND) as a distance measure between adjacent frames for video key frame extraction, and then present an interest learning model to control the playback rate according to the user preference. The proposed “smart-skip” frame schema not only helps users navigate the video content non-uniformly for any variable playback rate, but also preserves video semantic information to avoid the omission of important events. An overview+detail video player offering users an immersive experience is implemented to browse and comprehend the video content. Experimental results show that users can quickly skim the video, understand the content, and navigate into the content of interest.
KeywordsVideo playback Adaptive fast-forward Interest learning model Overview+detail Frame skipping transcoding
This work has been funded by Natural Science Foundation of China (61471261, 61179067, U1333110), and by grants TIN2013-47276-C6-1-R from Spanish Government and 2014-SGR-1232 from Catalan Government (Spain).
- 1.Al-Hajri, A., Miller, G., Fong, M., Fels, S.S.: Visualization of personal history for video navigation. In: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 1187–1196. ACM (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.Chen, C.Y., Hsu, C.T., Yeh, C.H., Chen, M.J.: Arbitrary frame skipping transcoding through spatial-temporal complexity analysis. In: TENCON 2007–2007 IEEE Region 10 Conference, pp. 1–4. IEEE (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Cheng, K.Y., Luo, S.J., Chen, B.Y., Chu, H.H.: Smartplayer: user-centric video fast-forwarding. In: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 789–798. ACM (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Glance, N.S.: Recommender system and method for generating implicit ratings based on user interactions with handheld devices, US Patent 6,947,922, 20 September 2005Google Scholar
- 8.Hu, Y., Koren, Y., Volinsky, C.: Collaborative filtering for implicit feedback datasets. In: Eighth IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, ICDM 2008, pp. 263–272. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Jiang, J., Zhang, X.P.: A new player-enabled rapid video navigation method using temporal quantization and repeated weighted boosting search. In: 2010 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops (CVPRW), pp. 64–71. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Jiang, J., Zhang, X.P.: A smart video player with content-based fast-forward playback. In: Proceedings of the 19th ACM International Conference on Multimedia, pp. 1061–1064. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Peker, K.A.: Method and system for playing back videos at speeds adapted to content, US Patent 7,796,860, 14 September 2010Google Scholar
- 13.Ramos, G., Balakrishnan, R.: Fluid interaction techniques for the control and annotation of digital video. In: Proceedings of the 16th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, pp. 105–114. ACM (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Shu, H., Chau, L.P.: Variable frame rate transcoding considering motion information [video transcoding]. In: IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, ISCAS 2005, pp. 2144–2147. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar