Selective extraction of vanadium from the APV-precipitated waste water
In the process of precipitating ammonium polyvanadate (APV) to produce vanadium pentoxide in Pan-steel in China, rest waste water usually contains about 24~333mg/L V(V), 2~100g/L Cr(VI),20~500mg/L Si(IV) and 20~100g/L Na2SO4. In order to recover valuable and also toxic metal ions contained in the waste water, effective extraction method of using anion exchange resin was realized to extract Vanadium selectively, leading to effective separation between vanadium and chromium. To ensure vanadium was absorbed by the resin, V(V) and Cr(VI) were reduced to V(IV) and Cr(III) by NaHSO3, respectively, and then V(IV) was oxidized by H2O2 to V(V) anions. Effects of temperature, solution pH, concentration of ions and absorbing time on vanadium absorption rate were investigated. Chromium was precipitated from rest solution while vanadium was eluted from resin by NaOH solution and then precipitated. Results showed that vanadium recovery of 73% could be obtained in optimized condition. The resin could be regenerated by 3% hydrochloric acid, which indicated the recyclability of the resin and thus low cost of this established method.
Key wordsWaste water Selective extraction Ion exchange Vanadium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ji Yunbo, et al, “Research and development of vanadium extraction technology,” Metallic Ore Dressing Abroad, 5(2007), 10–15.Google Scholar
- D. X. Huang, Vanadium Extraction and Steelmaking (Beijing, BJ: Metallurgical Industry Press, 2000), 11–15.Google Scholar
- Fu Zibi, et al, “Increasing abilities of handling V5+ and Cr6+ containing in wastewater after vanadium precipitation,” Ferro-Alloys, 6(2008), 40–43.Google Scholar
- Liu Anhua, et al, “Technology of vanadium extraction from v-hearing solid wastes and its prospect,” Metal Mine, 10(2003), 61–64.Google Scholar
- Zeng Li, et al, “Study of separation of vanadium from ammonium molybdate solution by ion exchange,” Rare Metals and Cemented Carbides, 2(34)(2006), 1–5.Google Scholar
- Song Fu, et al, “Extraction of vanadium from sodium tungstate by ion exchange,” Rare Metals and Cemented Carbides, 3(34)(2006), 5–8.Google Scholar