Teaching Process Simulation in Eleven Easy Lessons Using Excel and Its Tools
The primary market driver for improving process technology is innovation, which requires a skilled and educated workforce. However, many Materials Science and Engineering departments have eliminated extractive metallurgy and chemical thermodynamics from their curricula, yet these topics contain the necessary fundamentals for process innovation. As a result, most MS&E students are ill-prepared for careers in processing. The dearth of process-oriented MS&E curricula has prompted some Universities to develop a “shared” effort to offer distance education between multiple institutions . A target audience for a shared process simulation course would not only benefit students, but also be a basis for an on-line course for practicing engineers faced with new or changing career choices. To fill the gap, the basics of a process simulation course was developed in an abbreviated form as series of eleven articles and Excel workbooks published in Industrial Heating magazine between July 2012 and July 2013.
KeywordsProcessing Energy Education Combustion Software Simulation Flowsheet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.CourseShare, http://www.cic.net/projects/shared-courses/courseshare/introduction. September 2013.
- 3.AboutEdu, “Directory of free Massively Open Online Courses providers”, www.MOOCs.co. (September 2013).Google Scholar
- 4.http://www.industrialheating.com/articles/topic/2668?page=2. (September 2013).
- 5.Arthur Morris and Semih Perdahcioglu, “Software for Energy Education”, Energy Technologies and Carbon Dioxide Management, TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition, (2013).Google Scholar
- 8.www.thermart.net, “Combustion calculations” (September 2013).
- 15.FREED database, www.thermart.net. (September 2013)
- 19.http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/tools/newCalcSys/Description/Calculate%20available%20heat.pdf. (May 2012).
- 22.ASM Committee on Furnace Atmospheres, Furnace Atmospheres and Carbon Control, Metals Park, OH (1964).Google Scholar
- 24.www.thermart.net, “Software”. (September 2013).