Application of the Combined Reactors Method for Analysis of Steelmaking Process
A new integrated CFD-combined reactors approach is proposed for the description of processes in metallurgical vessels. CFD simulations were used to obtain the melt flow pattern in the vessels (ladle, tundish, and continuous caster mold). From these simulations, the characteristic curves were derived: (i) the residence time distribution curves (RTD) for flow-through systems (at tundish exit or at dendrite coherency surface in the mold) and (ii) the mixing curves for closed systems (ladle). In the next step, the melt flow was represented in a “combined reactors” system consisting of a combination of unit reactors (Plug Flow, Mixer, and Recirculated Volume). An inverse simulation was used to define the volumes of the reactor units and the melt flow rates between them by fitting to the characteristic curves from both methods (CFD and combined reactors). The suggested approach is demonstrated for multiple designs of Ar-stirred ladles, tundish, and SEN. This methodology can be used to enhance traditional post-processing CFD analysis and also as a tool for on-line process control.
KeywordsSteelmaking Ladle metallurgy Ar-mixing Melt flow Combined reactors
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Chattopadhyay, M. Isac, and R. Guthrie: Ironmaking and Steelmaking, 8 (2010) 562.Google Scholar
- 2.L. Zhang, S. Taniguchi, and K. Cai: Metallurgical and Material Transactions, B, 31B (2000) 253.Google Scholar
- 3.X. Huang and B. G. Thomas: Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 27B, (1996) 617.Google Scholar
- 4.O. Levenspiel: Chemical Reaction Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, New York, third edition, 1999, 668.Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Sahai and T. Emi: ISIJInternational, 6 (1996) 667.Google Scholar
- 6.Ansys Fluent 12.0. User’s Guide, Ansys Inc., 2009.Google Scholar
- 7.S.N. Lekakh and D. G. C. Robertson: ISIJ International, 53 (2013) 622.Google Scholar
- 8.J. J. Peter, K. D. Peaslee, D. G. C. Robertson and B.G. Thomas: AISTech Proceedings (2005) 973.Google Scholar
- 9.L. Jonsson, D. Sishen, and P. Jonsson: ISIJ International. 38 (1998) 260.Google Scholar
- 10.S. P. Ferro, R. J. Principe, and M. B. Goldschmit: Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 12B (2001) 118.Google Scholar