Cold Modelling of Splashing Phenomena in Oxygen Steelmaking
In oxygen steelmaking, splashing and droplet formation play a key role in the kinetics of the process. Though splashing has been studied by previous investigators, there is only limited understanding of how different cavity modes affect splashing. Therefore, a cold model study (at various lance heights and gas flow rates) has been carried out focusing on the issue of cavity modes and how it affects splashing phenomenon. Analysis using Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) was carried out on cavity oscillation that showed that frequency and amplitude of oscillation was highest in penetrating mode. Measurements of splashing over a range of conditions showed splashing greatly reduced when cavities went from splashing to penetrating mode. The results were validated and compared with plant data and previous model investigations.
Keywordssteelmaking splashing penetrating cavity oscillation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K.D. Peaslee and D.G.C. Robertson, “Model studies of splash, waves, and recirculating flows within steelmaking furnaces,” Steelmaking Conference Proceedings. Warrendale, PA: Iron & Steel Society 77, (1994), 713–722.Google Scholar
- 3.N. Molloy, “Impinging jet flow in a two-phase system: the basic flow pattern,” Journal of the Iron and Steel Institute, 216 (1970), 943–950.Google Scholar
- 5.M.S. Millman, A. Kapilashrami, M. Bramming, and D. Malmberg, Imphos: improving phosphorus refining, 2011, Publications Office of the European Union: Luxembourg.Google Scholar
- 10.S. Sharma, J. Hlinka, D. Kern, “The Bath Circulation, Jet Penetration and High-Temp Reaction Zone in BOF Steelmaking,” Iron and Steel Maker 4(7), (1977) 7–18Google Scholar
- 12.K.D. Peaslee and D.G.C. Robertson, “Fluid dynamics of inclined jetting on a slag/metal bath,” EPD Congress. San Francisco, California, USA: TMS, (1994), 1129–1145.Google Scholar
- 13.S. Sabah and G. Brooks, submitted to ISIJ International 2013.Google Scholar
- 14.S. Sabah and G. Brooks, submitted to ISIJ International 2013.Google Scholar