Development and Deployment of Slotted Anode Technology at Alcoa
Alcoa started slotted anode development and plant trials in 1998. Nearly all Alcoa prebake smelters are now running with slotted anodes. Implementation of slotted anodes has required little or no capital investment and has generally achieved improvements in current efficiency, power efficiency and pot stability. The success was not completely incident free and it became clear that the slotted anodes changed the behavior of many factors in the pot. This paper provides a brief view of slotted anode development and deployment on different cell technologies at Alcoa. The chronological development is described along with comparative performance. Some of the negative aspects of slotted anodes in different technologies are also presented.
Keywordsaluminum smelting carbon anode slotted anode anode gas bubble energy efficiency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.S. Fortin et al: Light Metals 1984, pp712–741.Google Scholar
- 3.W. E. Haupin: JOM, Oct. 1971, pp46–49.Google Scholar
- 4.G. J. Houston et al: Light Metals 1988, pp641–645.Google Scholar
- 5.R. C. Dorward: J. Applied Electrochemistry, No.13, 1983, pp569–575.Google Scholar
- 6.Lagon B. and J. M. Peyeau: Light Metals 1990, pp267–274.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Xue and H. A. Oye: Light Metals 1995, pp265–271.Google Scholar
- 8.X. Wang and A. T. Tabereaux: Light Metals 2000, pp239–247.Google Scholar
- 9.R. J. Aaberg et al: Light Metal 1997, pp341–346.Google Scholar
- 10.T. Hyde and B. Welch: Light Metals 1997, pp333–340.Google Scholar
- 11.W. Haupin: Light Metals 1998, pp531–537.Google Scholar