New Cathodes in Aluminum Reduction Cells
Three aluminum electrolysis cells with a novel uneven cathode bottom are being operated successfully in Chongqing Tiantai Aluminum Industry Co., Ltd., China. More and more aluminum smelters are using this type of cathode. In the past year the three 168 kA cells have produced steadily at low cell voltages of 3.70 V to 3.75 V, and the current efficiency (CE) has been improved by at least 1 % in comparison with 127 traditional model cathode cells in the same potline. The technical characteristics of the cells are described in this paper.
KeywordsAluminum electrolysis New cathodes Cell voltages Technical characteristics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The Aluminum Association, Inc. “Aluminum Technology Roadmap Workshop”, May 1997.Google Scholar
- 2.H Kvande. “The 6th Australasian Aluminium smelting technology conference and workshop”, Light metal age, (2) (1999), 68–71.Google Scholar
- 3.Qiu Zhuxian. “Prebaked reduction cell aluminum smelting (third edition)”, Beijing: metallurgy industry publishing company.Google Scholar
- 4.Feng Naixiang, Qi Xiquan, Peng Jianping. “Electrolysis test of 1.35 kA drained cathode reduction cell with TiB2-coated cathode”. Nonferrous Metals Society of China, (12) (2005), 2047–2053.Google Scholar
- 5.Peng Jianping, Feng Naixiang, Jiang Yanli, et al. “Test of drained aluminum electrolysis cell with TiB2/G graphitized cathode at high current density”. Nonferrous Metals Society of China, (4) 2008, 738–744.Google Scholar